Day Thirty: Going Home

"Are you listening to me?"

Nick blinked. He'd done it again. Dazed out while his sister Ellie was talking to him. It wasn't intentional. He hadn't slept well in days and she kept bringing up the past. He didn't want to talk about the past anymore. He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand and muttered an apology. "Sorry, Ellie. What are we talking about again?"

"Boston," she said tersely. "I asked you if you're going to come home for Thanksgiving."

"That's months away." Nick kept his head down. An ant meandered between his feet. The back of his neck was wet with sweat. He hated the end of August almost as much as he hated thinking about going back to Boston. "Anyway, why can't you just come here?"

"I always come to you. It would be nice if you made an effort too."

We sound like an old married couple, he thought. He lifted his head now and was met with his younger sister's grimace. She was five years younger but sometimes it felt like she was the older sibling. Especially lately. She took care of so many practicalities. 

"Have you got your ticket?" Nick stood up and stared into the darkness. A train whistle sounded in the distance. It was probably her train--the Northeast Regional that would carry her away from Richmond and whisk her back to Boston. She'd been here with him for two weeks and now he was ready to return to his normal life. 

"Of course I have my ticket," she quipped. "I don't lose things."

"Don't be like this, Ellie." He turned back to her and ruffled her chestnut brown hair. She'd pulled it into a neat bun, just like she always wore it. He wished she'd let her hair down and stop worrying about him. "You know going back is hard for me."

"It's been five years though."

"Doesn't mean it's any easier."

"It's never going to be easier if you don't face it."

Other passengers were venturing out now, jostling for the perfect position to wait for the train's arrival. Nick took his sister's bags and moved aside. Ellie followed him. The air smelled wet. He was pretty sure it would rain soon. He could already feel the coolness of it in the heavy air. 

"Did you forget anything at the house?"

"You know I didn't," she said and touched his shoulder. "I just...I know going back is hard for you. But it would be nice for my big brother to come and visit me. And everyone misses you."

"I know...I'll think about it."

"I'll even let you bring Rufus," she grinned. "He'll get his own room and everything."

"Rufus is a given. Where I go, he goes."

"So you'll come?"

"I'll think about it, Ellie. That's all I can promise right now."

"Okay," she conceded. "That's better than nothing." 

The train pulled into the station, loud enough to drown out any attempts at conversation. They said their goodbyes and then Ellie hugged Nick so tightly he nearly gasped. "We'll see each other again soon," he assured her. 
"We'll be okay."

She nodded and kissed his cheek. "Love you, big brother."

"Love you too, kid."

He watched as she showed her ticket to the conductor and then headed across the tracks to the northbound platform. Thunder rolled across the night sky and fat drops of rain began to splatter on the asphalt. But Nick didn't move. He wanted to make sure his kid sister was on the train and he wanted to see the train pull out of the station. So he stood there, ignoring the chatter of the others who were seeing off friends and loved ones, ignored the umbrellas snapping open around him. The signals clanged and announced the imminent departure of the Northeast Regional. As the train finally pulled out, Nick waved. He could just see Ellie through one of the mottled windows. She waved back, her expression hopeful and heartbreaking. 

Maybe she was right. Maybe it was time for him to go home.