Day Twenty-Six: Trouble

Niklas sauntered down the path, following the footprints Laney had left behind. His feet sunk into the warm sand, reminding him of so many childhood summers spent at this very beach. Not far from here, he’d lost his virginity at the age of sixteen under an rowboat as meteorite showers streamed through the sky. This weekend the Pereseids meteorite showers were projected to be at their peak. He’d brought Laney so she could witness it, thinking they would have the house to themselves.

It was part of his plan to convince her he was a good catch. Her distant smiles drove him crazy. And then there was the fact that she exuded innate sexiness without seeming to notice or care. When he first met her it was this quality that hooked him. Perhaps she knew exactly how sexy she was, but she was good seeming unaware of it.

Now though as he watched her swim out into the shimmering water, her body sleekly disappearing beneath the undulating waves before reappearing just a little farther out, he wondered how long he could hold onto her, even if he managed to convince her of his worth. He called out to her and she waved briefly before disappearing beneath the water’s surface. 

He walked closer to the water’s edge, the waves lapping at his bare feet. Laney resurfaced now, rising out of the water like some shimmering water nymph, her body sleek and wet, her bikini, almost transparent now and leaving nothing to the imagination. He swallowed hard. 

No wonder Ylva was complaining.