Chapter 2: Living Situations

After our hug it started to get dark. "Come back to my country, da?" Russia said to Dylan who was elated and looked over to me for my approval. I nodded and she and Russia ran off, happy as clams at high tide. "So, dudette, you want to stay in my country for a bit?" America asked, Sarah gave me puppy eyes, I nodded and she hugged me before running off with America. I looked over to Brea and Japan, "might she have permission to stay with me?" Japan asked, I nodded and he turned to Brea, "will you please stay with me?" Brea nodded and they walked off, the more I watched, the more I smiled. They were all so... suited for one another. "Will you stay with me, ma petite?" France asked, "I am sorry if this offends you but... I'd rather not... the Fates only know what you could do." I said and France smiled, "ah, such a clever girl." He said and began to walk off waving to us as he faced the other direction. "Might you stay with me then?" I turned and saw England, his cheeks were covered in a light blush. He's too much of a gentleman to try anything indecent. "Alright." I said and we began to walk, I was following England so we were probably heading for his house. I sneezed as we walked the darkening streets. "You cold?" He asked, I was only dressed in my pyjamas and slippers. I felt him lay something heavy on my shoulders. I looked over and saw him just in his dress shirt and overalls, no green jacket. I looked at the jacket that now lay on my shoulders and then back to England, "thank you, but now you must be cold." I said and he shook his head, "I'm a bit more concerned for a girl in her sleep garments." He said as I saw the point of a large house in the distance, "ah, almost there!" England said smiling. A lot of people only see his guarded side... but... I sort of like this side to him. It's cute.

When we got into the large house England took his jacket back and pinned it up. Large paintings filled the walls, some were of England but most of them were of queens, past and present. "I'll show you to your room." He said as I was distracted by a portrait of young England. I followed him closely and memorized the way up the marble stairs, down the veleted hall, and the portrait beside the room was of England holding the British flag in tattered and gun shot clothes. Golden leaf filled the boarder, "Lilly?" England asked touching my shoulder. "Yes, sorry, I was a bit distracted." I said and he opened the inlaid door. I gasped as I saw the room, it was more properly fit for a princess, not some random stranger in her jim-jams. "When you wake there's dresses in that closet." He said nearly closing the door, "thank you England, I hope I can repay you somehow." I said and he smiled, a true, genuine smile. "Good night Lilly." He shut the door and I went over to the bed. It was around the size of my room back in my world! I made a quick phone call and I laid on the fluffy mattress as sleep tugged at my eyes.

When I woke up the sky was just barely kissed by the sun, making it seem golden. I smiled as I walked to the small vanity, my hair was still smooth. I pulled a brush through my hair to rid myself of the knots and I looked to the closest. I got up and, in fluent movements, opened the wardrobe. I saw dresses everywhere, and one looked like it dated to the nineteen-hundreds. I picked a green dress with a black ribbon under the bust, for it was the most basic one in there. I pulled on black tights and green heels that were my size. I pulled a few strands from both sides of my head and united both clusters in the back of my head, tying it off with a green ribbon. I walked out of the room, down the hall, down the steps and into the first floor kitchen. I followed my nose, the smell of burnt eggs and ham lead me to him. "Ah! No, don't do that!" England yelled as I silently stood in the open archway. I smiled as I watched him work away at breakfast... if it could even be called that. England worked worked harder than I've ever seen anyone work at cooking breakfast. He tries and something about it... I smiled as he sighed and plated up the food. The ham was just a bit burned and the eggs... they could be scrambled eggs, an omelet gone wrong, or if you really stretched the imagination then he tried to make an egg sunny side but the yolk burst. "Good morning," I said and he jumped in fright. "Good morning." England said with a sheepish smile. "Did you sleep well?" He asked picking up the two plates and motioned for me to follow. "Yes thank you, and yourself?" I asked as we walked into the dinning room and he set the plates at the foot of the dinning table. He held one chair out for me, "oh, thank you." I said as he pushed it close to me, unlike how my friends would just pull it away from me, causing me to fall on my butt and get angry at them. "I'm not much of a cook..." England said as I picked my fork, I smiled over to him as I picked up a bit of egg. As I raised the fork to my mouth I saw that England was holding his breath. It tasted a bit burnt but other than that it had good flavor. I smiled over to him, "thank you for letting me borrow these clothes, and cook breakfast, and letting me stay here for the time being." I said as I picked up more egg. "For the time being? You mean your leaving me? It's that git France isn't it?!" He sounded hurt and sad. I finished chewing before I spoke, "I have to find a way back home, for me and all the girls. And France just... please no and thank you." I said and England sat back down. "Right, you all must have families to go to.. England said, "actually, their my family. But we just don't belong here. I now, though, need to try and figure out how I did this in the first place, so we probably won't be leaving for months, a year tops." I said and looked down to my plate as irate, "and don't worry, I'll be out of your hair hopefully soon." I said and he looked confused, "how and why?" "Well, normally one would get a job and get an apartment. But I doubt any of the other girls would like to leave once they finally got here... what do you mean why? Wouldn't you like it better if I were out of your hair?" I asked and he shook his head, "if you don't mind, I'd rather you stay with me. It's sort of lonely here in this house." I blushed and cleared my throat, "I... uh... sure." I said and we are in silence for the reminder of breakfast.