Forever With An Expiry Date

This was requested by @crazycat888
I hope I did it just like you would've wanted it bby

TW// character death (not Haz or Lou), slight mention of suicide

It wasn't like Louis didn't know. He knew more than anyone, his mum was not doing well. Yet, he refused to acknowledge it, he wanted her to be with him until his last breath. He had often told her 'Mama I want to live a day less than you do so that I can always be with you,' and now he was the one having to let go. He was his mum's pride and joy and the most spoiled one out of all his siblings. No matter what happened, he would always be the first to get a hug or a kiss when they all met and would constantly be fussed over by her the entire time he was with her. He refused to leave Doncaster ever since the doctors told him that she didn't have much longer. He wanted to cherish every last moment with her. He had told the management to sod off and for once they didn't make a big deal out of it.

"He was a very cheeky child you know? He knew I loved him more than anything and would never shout at him. Boy did Boobear take advantage of that. Always got on my nerves but still, don't tell the girls, he's my favourite," Jay smiled at Harry who was sitting next to her bed. "He's still cheeky, mumma. Still knows nobody will tell him off and heaven knows I could never even raise my voice at him," Harry chuckled, holding her hand, "Still love him though," he blushed. "That's just how Louis is, honey. You will love him to death even after perfectly knowing how annoying he is," Jay smiled. "What embarrassing stories have been told about me while I had gone home to get lunch for us?" Louis asked accusingly. "Oh, nothing. Just how much you annoy Harry," Jay giggled. Louis' lower lip wobbled at that. "Hazza I am so sorry," Louis mumbled, setting down the multiple meal prepped boxes of food Harry had prepared. "Mumma! Look what you've done," Harry chuckled, going over to pull a very sad Louis into his chest. "I'm not sick of you, darling. I could never be. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me," Harry explained, rubbing the smaller lad's back. "So you aren't leaving me?" Louis inquired shyly. "Nope. Never. I can't leave what's mine now can I?" Harry assured, rubbing circles on Louis' back. "I'm sorry boo," Jay apologised with a smile that said 'at least now I know someone will take care of my baby after I'm gone.' "s okay," he huffed while sporting a pout on his lips, pouring pesto on the rice dish Harry had made. Louis' demeanour made everyone in the room burst out in a fit of uncontrolled laughter.

The laughs of the past day were forgotten and all going through Louis' head was 'don't go, take me instead.' "Lou, baby? I'll be gone only for a minute. Just need to sign a few papers," Harry explained to a dazed Louis who just nodded. Harry was trying to be strong for the both of them, especially when Louis had already fallen apart. His Lou was trying so hard to keep the act of keeping it together. Harry returned to the room when Jay was being wheeled away. Louis was shaking, looking for comfort. Harry immediately wrapped his arms around Louis. "Hazza they're taking mum away Hazza please tell them to stop. They aren't listening to me, they look at me like I've lost it but mum's fine," Louis bawled, grabbing the taller lad's shirt. "Nothing's happened to her right, Hazza? Tell them something for God's sake Harry! Why aren't you saying anything? Mum's fine right? Say something please, Harry," Louis sobbed, trying to shake Harry but he had lost all strength about an hour ago. "Sshhh Louis, my honey. Mumma's become an angel now. She was in so much pain for so long and look, today she learnt how to fly. She's still here, just in a different form is all," Harry explained, all while moving them to a chair where he sat Louis on his lap and started rocking him back and forth. "I can't see her! Where is she, Hazza? I want my mum," Louis cried, drool dribbling on Harry's shirt. "Sshh I know baby, I know. Place your hand on your heart. Every time it beats, Mumma's heart beats along with it. Feel her presence, I promise she is right here. Go on, Lou, try it," Harry comforted, trying to get his husband to focus on his heartbeat so he'd calm down at least a little from being so worked up.

Fizzy had taken on the parent role and was trying to get everyone to drink water to avail. "He's okay right?" she asked Harry, leaning on the doorframe with four water bottles in her hand. "Honestly? I don't know. This might be too much for him. He'll be fine, that I know. I just don't know when," Harry sighed, glancing at Louis was staring at the empty hospital bed with empty eyes. "He was the closest with mum, thick as thieves. He was the apple of her eye and in his eyes, she was the one who hung the moon. It'll hit him the hardest," she choked. Clearly, none of them were okay but the older ones were trying so hard to not break down in front of the little ones. "Harry? Please take care of him. He tries so hard to make it seem like he's oh so strong and nothing bothers him but he's a sensitive petal," Fizzy smiled with bloodshot eyes while walking over to Phoebe and Daisy to try and calm them a little bit. "I'll always take care of him," Harry whispered knowing full well she was out of earshot.

"No, what you refuse to understand is that I am completely fine. What makes you think that I am not fine? I sleep with you, kiss you, take Cliffy on walks, and help with the dishes. What else do you need from me, Harry?" Louis shouted, absolutely losing it because Harry simply asked if he was okay. It had been a week since Jay had become a memory and Louis was doing exactly what was expected of him. He was acting like nothing ever happened and frankly, it was driving Harry insane. "Of course I refuse to understand it. Any sane person would disagree with the fact that you are fine. Just let it out, Lou. If you think I don't notice, you've got the wrong guy. I see how stiff you've been the past few days. It's okay to be vulnerable, baby. Don't do this to yourself, my heart hurts because my love is hurting," Harry tried, tears pooling in his eyes. "No no no you're just trying to get under my skin. What do you want Harry? That I cry like a pathetic fool? Well too bad because I have things to do," Louis yelled. Harry walked over to Louis, kneeled, and clasped his hands together. "Harry what are you doing? Just get up," the smaller lad huffed in annoyance. "Please, Lou, please. I beg on my knees, don't do this to yourself. Please don't hurt yourself like this, you're hurting me when you hurt yourself," Harry cried with his head bowed down in submission, something you'd never see him do. That sight broke down all the walls Louis had built over the past week. He fell to the floor, crawling up to Harry's lap. "I am so sorry Hazza. I just didn't know what to do, it was all too much to process," Louis started, tears forming in his eyes, "I miss mum so much, I thought it would be better for me to push it all away instead of dealing with it. It hurts so much to even think about it." "Oh baby I know, I am so sorry. Please never push anything away. I promise I'll always try to ease the hurt. Please don't do this to yourself, my starlight," Harry explained slowly, hands running through Louis' hair. They stayed like that for hours, sat on the floor and Harry humming 'Look After You' by The Fray till his boy fell asleep.

Hiiii my turtledoves!! I am still taking requests but they'll be published after the 1st of June since my finals are still going on. I hope you all liked this one. I love you all to the moon and to Saturn xx