Why Should I Be The One To Fall? pt.1

This was requested by Adoreyoularry on AO3. I really hope I did it just like you wanted it, love.

Beacon, Louis' alarm, was blaring from his bedside table where his phone was charging. He felt the slightest bit better knowing it was Saturday. At least tomorrow he would be able to spend a proper morning talking to Misty, his ragdoll. She was a proper spoiled and expensive cat but Louis had nobody else to spend on so having her made perfect sense. Talking to your cat for hours only to be swatted at wasn't that weird right? At least she was better than Harry Styles, the other nursing intern at the hospital. That boy was so darn annoying and the elderly ones adored him more than anything. Why wouldn't they? Emerald green eyes, prominent dimples and a bubbly presence, no matter what shift it was. As for Louis, he will keep on grumbling under his breath if it isn't the afternoon or evening shift. Annoying as he might be, he was also his best friend at work. His eyes flit to the clock on his wall which made him mutter a few curses before leaving the house in a hurry only to return because he had forgotten to kiss the cat goodbye.

The hospital was quieter than usual but he knew better than to comment on that. He wasn't that deranged yet. A few more late-night shifts and he might be. He was quietly arranging the papers that the intern in the previous shift, a twat, hadn't bothered to tidy up. Harry barged in with the biggest grin, dimples popping, looking like he had another joke to annoy him with. The kid had horrible humour but people went along with it, they were too busy swooning over him. "Good morning, Lou!" Harry called causing Louis to groan internally. "G'morning Haz," Louis answered, not looking up from his work. Something about Harry was so loveable that even Louis, with all his early morning grumpiness, couldn't resist. "Knock Knock," Harry grinned. "The door's open. Invite yourself in," Louis mumbled, chuckling to himself. "Nuh uh. Pleaseeee one time," Harry pleaded and Louis would have almost cooed if he hadn't decided that he was annoying. "Fine fine. Who's there?" Louis asked, looking at Harry properly. "Lil old lady," Harry chuckled. "Lil old lady who?" Louis said, groaning at the fact that it actually sounded kind of funny. "Oh my my Louis Tomlinson, you never told me you could yodel," Harry boomed, already looking like he'll fall from laughing. "Mhm very funny Harold," Louis mumbled under his breath. "'m not Harold, Loulou," Harry grumbled, pulling at Louis' scrubs. "Did you really call me Loulou?" Louis asked, shocked out of his mind. Nobody called him that. Ever. "Uhm I bought two doughnuts. You want one?" Harry fumbled, desperately trying to change the topic. "Uh sure," Louis said, confused. "I'll get going then yeah? I need to go check up on Daisy," he stuttered before quickly walking away. Daisy was a lady in her 80s who loved Harry like her son. Rightly so considering her twat of a son never visits his mother who had leukaemia As much as he found Harry annoying, he was one of the nicest people he has worked with. He would do anything to make Daisy smile and he always made sure Louis ate his meals. Louis would be lying if he didn't want Harry as someone more than a work bestie. As much as he wanted to have Harry as his boyfriend, he would never actually be the first one to make a move. He had way too big an ego for that. Why should he be the one to fall? He was scared of heights anyway.

Harry was updating Daisy's charts, taking time to smile at her every so often. He was done and went to sit by her. He always made sure to talk to her for at least half an hour every day. "Harry, my dear, you know that he loves you right?" Daisy asked softly, putting her arm on his bicep. "Uhm who uh loves me?" Harry stuttered, flustered thinking about Louis. "That blue-eyed nurse. Quite small with feathery hair? Lou I think," Daisy tried. "Oh, Louis? He and I are just friends," Harry mumbled, leaning into Daisy's touch. "You love him too don't you?" Daisy asked. "Oh uhm no I don't. Why would I? That pixie-like boy is crazy and grumpy, like a cat almost," Harry quickly replied, not managing the fond on his face when he said those very words. "Okay whatever you say, my dear. Tell me. Where did you get these polka-dotted scrubs?" she quickly changed the subject much to Harry's relief. "Made 'em myself. Had a dotting sponge and baby blue scrubs and my sister had left behind her fabric paint so I did it," Harry said proudly. "My boy is so talented," she exclaimed, ruffling his curls. "Thank you, Dais," Harry smirked. "Oh don't you smirk at me young man while there's your Louis out there staring into this room," Daisy chuckled. Harry almost fell after noticing the small boy walk away as soon as he turned around in his seat. "Hurry along. You must have other patients to attend to instead if chatting up an old lady," Daisy smiled and Harry nodded, taking out a Vogue magazine from his pocket. "I got this for you," Harry mumbled shyly. "My darling boy you are an angel," Daisy grinned, gingerly opening the book.

Lunchtime rolled around and Harry made sure to get lunch for two people knowing Louis would forget to get his own. They always ate together but Harry had to collect Louis from wherever he was lurking. Today it happened to be the morgue. Either Louis was messed up in the head or he was sent there for some actual work. "Hey, Lou!" Harry chimed, entering the cold room. "Yeah?" asked Louis, flipping through the records. "It's time for lunch bab-.....Louis," Harry quickly corrected himself. "Right um give me five minutes," Louis muttered, gaze still fixed on the papers in his hands. Harry just wanted to pick him up, set him on his lap and feed him the food. The fact that Louis looked as pretty as a picture when concentrating on something didn't help either. Oh for God's sake he had his little tongue out in concentration and kept on fixing his pretty fringe."LOUEHHH!" Harry bellowed playfully, nudging his waist. "What?" Louis asked, still not paying attention. "You have to eat, do this death stuff later. You'll lose your appetite," Harry explained softly. "What'll you do if I don't come huh? Scold me?" Louis sassed with his hands on his hips which caused Harry to choke on air. "Well do you want me to take you across my knee?" he sassed back, testing the waters of the situation. "I'd like to see you try that, you little munchkin," Louis grumbled back. "Mhm says the little 5'7 looking cat," Harry teased with a look in his eyes that had nothing but love but Louis was oblivious to it. "Its 5'9, you little shit," Louis retorted, eyes shooting daggers at him but his lips quirked up in a smile. He would let Harry get away with anything. No, he wasn't in love with him, he just thought of Harry as his best friend. And how could he ever get mad at his best friend? "Louis I......I think we should go for lunch. I got Nando's for you," Harry pressed, efficiently changing the topic. "I uh yeah I'll be right after you," Louis mumbled, putting away the folders. Harry might have wanted to say more than 'let's go have lunch' but his own fear of being left alone stopped him before he poured himself out to someone who might not love him back.

I am so sorry for skipping a week of updates. I am honestly in a really horrible mental space and things are not the best at home. I'll be alright soon, just need some time to collect myself back together. I love you all to the moon and back xx