Alleyway wormholes

It started late one night with a noise outside the window. It wasn't the usual noises of cat fights, the occasional clatter of falling junk or even my neighbor singing opera to himself again.

No. It was the sound of an alien spaceship appearing out of a wormhole into the alleyway next to my apartment block.

I know what you're thinking. "How would you know what that sounds like?" I watch a lot of TV okay.

I have suspected the existence of the wormhole ever since I moved here three years ago, but I've never managed to find it. There's only a certain amount of prodding you can do before your crazy neighbors start thinking You're the nutcase.

Anyway, after seeing the spaceship through my window on the third floor I ran to the door pulling on my trench coat and grabbing my fedora.
Finally! My time had come! My colleagues would take me seriously, and I'd win that bet against Tracy. All I needed was proof.

I practically fell down the stairs, ignoring the prodding of friction and resistant forces. They would not stand for it however, and promptly halted me when the revolving lobby door spat me straight into a lamppost on the street.
I managed to not die on impact and change the direction of my momentum by grabbing onto the post as my body swung round.

I skidded to a (unstable) halt in front of the alleyway.
The street felt oddly deformed by the lack of life... there weren't even any rats stirring the trash. The street lamp behind me then flickered and promptly went out, leaving me shrouded in darkness.

I glared into the now dark alleyway, searching for the spaceship that had been there only moments before.

A breeze was blowing into the alleyway, and as my hair stood on end started flickering. The realization of what was happening struck me.

The wormhole was slowly sucking in everything around. It had started with small things like sound and electricity but it was now starting on loose standing objects... such as myself.

I turned towards the lamppost and tried grabbing hold of it, but moving in any direction that wasn't into the ominous alleyway, now felt like moving through setting jelly. I cried out in alarm, but the sounds were merely sucked into the now very obvious wormhole.

I had now forgotten about aliens, spaceships and wormholes. Proving to Tracy that wormholes are indeed orange and not black would have to wait for another day, for now my concentration was focused primarily on not dying and keeping my fedora on my head.