11. Comfort you - Light

I heard the hinge of the door sneakily being removed and before the door slightly swung open. The piece of paper that usually stuck between the door fell to the ground and was gathered again. Then the door was closed and locked. All these precautions told me Light was entering. He stood with his back to me, carefully ensuring that the door was properly locked. Then he turned and was surprised to see me sitting on his bed.

"Oh, hello." He said astonished. "Welcome home." I said and smiled at him. "It took you long, getting back from school. Did you stop on your way?" I asked innocently.

"No, I came immediately. School took a little longer. You know Sugimoto-san, he always lets his lectures run longer than they're supposed to." Light casually drew the chair from his desk closer to me and sat down. I watched him with a dark look in my eyes which was answered by his questioning gaze.

"Light, you didn't have Sugimoto-san as lecturer today."

Light crossed his arms in front of his chest as a stern complexion crossed his face. "Are you monitoring my schedule now too? Are you stalking me now? Why would you do that?" I angrily mimicked his posture and childishly returned the question. "Are you lying to me now, why would you do that?"

Light did not answer. Instead, he rolled his chair away from me and observed me from a distance. His eyes were cold as mercilessly looked down at me. I could but guess what he was thinking. He continued his investigation for a while, but then let out a long sigh. To my surprise his eyes softened and he moved closer to me. He let his elbows rest on his knees and reached out his hands in the space that separated us. I reached out too, grabbing his hands and intertwining our fingers.

"Okay, now you are going to tell me what really is bothering you." Light said in a low voice and looked me straight in the eyes. I started shaking slightly because of that piercing stare.

"I heard some other students talking..." I started, "and they were laughing at each other, saying that I shouldn't even bother hanging around with you. T-that I was far too slow-witted to be of i-interest and just making a fool of myself. That you would w-want only the best and-"

"They're right."

Light's harsh comment rendered me speechless. "What did you say?" I asked him in disbelief since he had just actually confirmed my fears.

"I said they were right," said Light and struggled his fingers lose from mine, rising from his chair. I looked up at him, utterly perplexed.

"I want only the best, and that's why they are wherever they are now and you are here, sitting on my bed. Honestly, I have difficulties believing that such worthless gossips could upset you so."

He grasped hold of my wrist and made me stand close to him. "Don't doubt your value. If you were nothing to me, you wouldn't still be here." With one single smooth movement, he brushed a tear away from my cheek. Only then I noticed I was crying. Light smiled at me and spoke with a clear and serious voice.

"You are the only person in this rotten world worth standing next to me. Your heart is true and good, and in most aspects you are second only to me." I smirked at that comment and pushed him away playfully. "What do you mean with 'second', you idiot."

"Now don't get too enthusiastic." Answered Light teasingly and pulled me near him. "You're an amazing person and I want you to stay beside me, understood?" I nodded and deepened the small kiss he gave me. Whatever was bothering me, Light would always unconditionally stand on my side. He would always fight my battles with me. With him as a partner in this world, nothing was impossible. His mental strength strengthened me, thus no fear nor sorrow could ever consume me.

I watched how Light dropped down on his bed and sat next to him. Light stroke his slender fingers over my cheek. To touch felt ticklish but pleasant and familiar. "Feeling better already?"

I nodded happily. "Then," said Light as a bit of that stern look returned in his eyes, "answer this one question for me: how on Earth did you get in here?"

A/N

Hello! ^^

I hope you liked this chapter about Light! Please vote and tell me what you think of it!

Oh, and by the way... In the 'comfort you' chapter about L (Ryuzaki), I mentioned a song L's amazing voice actor had sung. Light's voice actor actually has even more singing material. Would you want to check that out, then here are some songs you might enjoy:

And there's like a million more songs! I personally like L's voice better, but Light still is amazing! 

Hope you enjoyed it, have a nice day!

-The Shinigami