Elevator Ride

Kim tried to calm her nerves while waiting for the lift, knots of conflicting emotions rolled within her. The encounter with the obnoxious stranger from the supermart adds up to the frustrations she’s been nursing the whole day.

          Argh! What is it with today? Asshole day? Kim thought grimly and shook her head swiftly as if by doing so would made her forget the day’s happenings.

          ‘ A penny for your thought mis—Uhm.. Kimmy?’

          A voice interrupted her, No this isn’t happening!, Kim still for a moment and closed her eyes firmly. No, I am not hearing the stranger’s voice in my head, he’s not here. No!

          ‘Hey, are you okay? Should I call medics?’ a hand touched her shoulder tentatively.       

Kim’s eyes flew open the instance she felt his hands on her shoulder, and flinch away from his touch.

          ‘Excuse me, I don’t know you so don’t you call me Kimmy, and don’t touch me’, she said angrily. She glanced on the lift’s and shook her head once more when she saw that 2 of them were still on the upper floors while the other one seems to be stuck in the basement.

          ‘Whoah! Sorry! I was just worried about you, you seemed sick’, the stranger said in a concerned voice while leaning in closer to look take a good look of her face. He reached out a hand to touch her chin and tilted it up so she’s facing him, while another hand rested firmly on her shoulder.

          Kim was taken aback when she saw his handsome face up close, and darn those deep brown eyes. She’s certain she hasn’t seen eyes as expressive as his, its dark & light, cold & warm, like melted dark chocolates with warm caramel. She swore she could get lost staring at them forever. And stared she does, enchanted.

          ‘Hey Kim, you alright?’, he said once more and shook her shoulder gently as if to wake her up, his eyebrows creasing from concern.

          ‘Uhm.. yeah, yeah I’m good’,  Kim said stepping away from the stranger and mentally chastising herself for losing it. ‘What the heck was that’, she thought to herself.

          ‘Are you sure? Cause for a moment there, I swear you looked.. lost?’

          ‘Yeah, yeah I’m good, just got a little distract--, uhm I mean just getting a little impatient with the lift, yeah, what do you think making it too long to come down? Kim babbled, frazzled and not being able to meet the strangers’ inquisitive eyes.

          ‘Oh could be those honeymooners neighbor of mine, witnessed them bid goodbye for full 5 minutes this morning’  the stranger said looking up the lift’s, eyes shining with amusement. ‘that one I think, he said pointing to the elevator stuck on the basement, ‘were the Dee’s family, you know, it can get a little rowdy to get all 6 kids pulling one another’s hair or clawing each other’s eyes out before their parents managed to get them all in the lift, such a joy to be in the same elevator with them.’

          Kim listened in awe to the stranger, ‘And how on earth did you know about this? About the tenants of this building?’

          ‘Simple, I live here.’  The stranger smiled at her.

          ‘Since when?’  Kim asked.