Chapter 1 - Greetings

The air was rank with it. The foul odor, that was so enticing to her. It called her name, set her legs into motion and made her mouth water. She leapt over rocks, scurried through the long grass, and sauntered to a stop. Drool flowed over her teeth, and out of her mouth like a waterfall. Her heart pounded against her ribcage, and her stomach desperatly growled for just a tiny morsel. Her lip twitched, and pulled up into a sinister snarl.

She heard it; the heartbeat. She could almost make a song out of it’s rythm; dance to it, even. She crouched just out of sight of the panicked human. He spun in circles, his bow drawn, an arrow pulled back, ready to fire.

No arrow would stop her.

The human turned, and she waited for him to be completley turned away, before springing. A monstrous roar caught his attention, and a shriek silenced the valley.

Birds took to the sky, afraid of seeing the horror down on the forrest floor. The night cloaked the over sized beast as she sat down for supper.

The wretched odor filled her nostrils before dying down. The smell that made her skin tingle with excitment of the hunt; Fear.

In the distance, there was a loud, high pitched howl, cutting her meal short. She licked her chops, and buried the remains of her supper, before slinking off through the under brush, and keeping distance between her and the distant howl. She did not want to face the owner of it.

Besides, she had somewhere to be.

* * * * *

Bilbo Baggins scurried around in a fluster, trying to gain control of the situation at hand. He specifically told his unexpected house guests that there was no gathering, that they were not welcome and to keep out of his pantry!

But it was no use. He’d have more luck with the most stubborn mule of the Shire.

Bilbo only grew more frustrated seeing Gandalf, cool as a cucumber, slumped against the fire place, watching the dwarves tread through the house. Dwarves were great house guests, in his eyes, and he couldn’t see why Bilbo was making such a fuss.

Upon their next arriving house guest, Bilbo would be running to the dwarves.

“Gandalf, I have no more room, no more food- Hey, put that down!” Bilbo scolded one of the dwarves.

“Do not worry, there are only two more to show up.” Gandalf assured.

“T-two more?” Bilbo stuttered. “I had no room for two to begin with, let alone enough food to feed one! Gandalf, please, no more dwarves.”

“This one, she is not a dwarf...she is-” As if on cue, there came a soft knock, and Bilbo [reluctantly] opened the door. There, in the doorway, stood an elf; or what he thought to be an elf. She was short, and her ears (from what Bilbo could see) were not pointed. But she was beautiful, with hair that stretched down her back and a sky blue gown that was almost concealed by her fur shawl.

“Are you Bilbob Aggins?” She asked.

“Bilbo Baggins, at your service.” He bowed.

“Pardon me, Bilbo.” She curtsyed, and then peered in the doorway. “Am I late?” She asked, hearing the ruckus in the kitchen.

“Honestly, it doesn’t matter. You’re here all the same.” Bilbo sighed. “Oh, sorry Miss...uh..” He flushed.

“Ùsahtiel.” She replied, taking off her shawl, and laying it with the rest of the coats.

“Are you a friend of the dwarves?” Bilbo asked, leading her to where they resided. Her eyes grew wide at the sight of them.

“No.” She replied softly. “Gandalf; where is he?”