Chapter Ten: Holly Blue

God, if skylarks are in Heaven, please give one to Ashleigh and tell him it's from me. Sophia had another silent conversation with God while sitting on her bed and staring at the picture of the butterfly. Her younger sister Rebecca came in to her room. "Sophia, can you do the other part for Freya's flute piece?" Sophia and Rebecca were both Grade 4 flute. "Yeah, if you want." she sighed and picked up her flute case.

About half an hour later, they were playing a piece which their older sister Freya had written. She was at the Royal College of Music, studying composing and piano, although she played the flute as well. The piece was called Last Remaining Star. It was a beautiful piece. (Although it was really supposed to be played on the piano, Freya had cleverly written it so that everything was above the lowest note on the flute but still sounded nice on the piano.) Sophia and Rebecca practised it all afternoon. Sophia was glad, because it took her mind off Ashleigh for a few hours. Though she knew she would cry into her pillow again that night, the sound of the flute was a gentle, comforting sound and it made her forget about everything else.

"Oh I've got an idea! Let's write our own piece." Sophia suddenly said. Rebecca shrugged. "Oh, ok. What's it going to be called?"

Sophia thought for a moment. "Let's call it Butterfly."

They worked on their piece until it was time for Rebecca to go to bed, stopping only to eat dinner.

That night, Sophia cried. She was happy for the moment, but she didn't think she'd ever get over Ashleigh being dead.