Chapter Five: Dainty Sulphur

Sophia walked home, having another silent conversation with God. "God, please ask Ashleigh why he didn't tell me about all this. Ask him why he left the note on the white rose instead of actually telling me in person. Lord, if butterflies are in Heaven, send one to Ashleigh and tell him it's from me."

Oh no.

Robert was walking towards Sophia. She gasped, and ran across the road. Robert went across too. She sighed. It looked like she was going to have to talk to him. Robert went up to her.

"Hi Sophia. How are you?"

A fire started in Sophia's heart. How dare he just act like nothing happened?

How dare she act like he hadn't just killed his own brother?

"Listen, I know what happened, you selfish liar. I know that you killed your own brother. I'm going to tell the police." Sophia hissed. Robert laughed. "Oh no, is little Sophia going to tell on me? Oh, I'm so scared!" he said sarcastically. A wave of anger swept through Sophia, and she slapped him on the cheek. "Just go away! I HATE YOU!" she screamed, and ran past him, all the way back home. Her mum was there at the front door. "Oh, Sophia. I was worried about you." she said. "Sorry. I was... I had to see Lauren." Her mum hugged her. "I found your phone." She held up Sophia's phone. "Thank you Mum. I'm... I'm just going to go upstairs." Sophia ran to her room, staring at her phone. She had three texts and a missed call. She sighed and checked the texts. One was from Lauren, one was from her mum, and one was from...

Ashleigh!
"Look at the white rose next to the oak tree in the woods. I'll miss you Sophia."

Huh. So much for that. Sophia missed him too much. She wanted to go and see Ashleigh. If only you could pay visits to Heaven, but come back to Earth again. Sophia didn't want to die but she missed Ashleigh so much. Her dog, Danny, walked into her room. "Oh, Danny," Sophia sighed as the dog sniffed her hand, "If only I could visit Ashleigh." It seemed silly, but she thought Danny gave her a look then. Sophia just wanted to scream. Maybe she should tell her mum about all of this. But then Lauren wouldn't want her brother to go to gaol.

Sophia started crying. The situation was hopeless. If she told her mum, her mum would tell the police, and the police would find Sam and Robert. What if Lauren decided that she didn't want to be best friends with someone who sent her brother to gaol?

Stop worrying, brain, she told herself. God will look after you.
But I don't even know if it was Sam and Robert.

It was, you silly girl. Who else could it have been?
I don't know.

This little conversation with herself went on for a while.

She didn't know which side to believe any more.