- Chapter 3

Sorry I haven’t updated in about a two week... With exams coming up next week, I’ve been finding ways to distract myself from revision.  Anyways, back to the book... I’ll try to update every week on time.

-

I never slept as much as I used to. I’d be lucky to get four hours of sleep. So throughout the ride to Florida, which was an extremely long journey may I add; I read Fifty Shades of Freed. The only moment where I could read it was when every human being was passed out, otherwise I’d just get curious looks.

I remember that one time I took out Fifty Shades of darker on the train. That one look from an old granny with multiple teeth missing will forever haunt me.

The only way I read the first book was by force, when Miranda insisted I read it. Let me tell you, with me being sleep deprived I fell asleep on chapter nine. Overall it was an okay book for me; personally I’m not really into the whole ‘erotic’ novels. But since I read the first book, what was the harm in the second, and so on. Although I prefer books like The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, now that is what I call a true book.

It was the third item that I had packed into my suitcase, after my laptop, diary and oh yes, my make-up bag. So let’s say fourth item. I cared about it that much.

As I brought the book into a close after reading the final page, “I love you and I love you too.” Why can’t there ever be a book that ends in the opposite? Must it always be a happy ending?

The way books deceive us all is really the capitalist ideology; that everything and everyone has a fairytale ending.  When in reality, that’s not the case. Anyways, enough of my ranting brain.

I got up from the warmth of my seat; I looked around with my eyes set on a target. The toilet came into view and I rushed towards it. I noticed everyone sleeping as I made my way to the back of the plane, where the toilet was located.

After my business was done, I checked myself in the mirror to see if I looked like a zombie with the no sleep. Check to that box, I looked like death. I fixed my natural brown hair as it framed my face and came down across my back, with a light brown tip dye. Taking note that the light brown was slightly fading. As I unlocked the door of the toilet and I started my trek back to my seat, when I was interrupted.

“Ariel,” the voice murmured, and here I thought everyone else was sleeping. I turned to match the voice to a face. It was Mrs Dawningtons, a light smile was playing across her red painted lips. I give the women credit; it did not smudge like most lipsticks while sleeping.  

She waved her hand, not in a way to signal a servant. While signing deeply, I made my way to her wondering what this old lady wanted at this time.

“Yeah?” This was my reply.  I know I shouldn’t be acting so discourteous, no doubt my parents would be scowling at me if they were here. Besides, what did she expect? Me and her becoming best friends.

She motioned for me to take the first seat next to her, with a warming smile on. Instead I took the second seat wondering where her husband had wondered off too.  

“His just finishing off some paper work and doing some business call," she answered my curiosity. I gave a shy smile, as if I was caught out. Taking into notice that I took the second seat, she lifted up the arm chair from the vacant seat and faced me.

Her striking green eyes born into my boring brown eyes as she started to address me. She looked deep in thought as her eyes turned to focus on the floor beside me. “Ariel, uh... I don’t really know how to start this,” she let out a small laugh out of her small lips.