- Chapter 2.

-          Still in the past

I stood there, totally and utterly gobsmacked. How could Aaron betray me and our family? New family...

My brain was still processing it all that I didn’t notice when he dragged me into a room with Amethyst. Smart, I can’t shout when she’s there.

“Please, please just hear me out.” Aaron pleaded. “They used to be a close family friend, and as soon as they heard about the tragedy they took the first flight to London.”

I tilted my head slightly; I was on the verge of opening my mouth to speak against it, when he said the unbeatable.

“Think about Amethyst.... We’re not of the legal age to look after her. Its two more years till I’m twenty-one, and till then she needs a family, even if it’s someone we distantly know.” My eyes were still fixed on him as he looked towards Amethyst with a slight smile on his face, I looked at her and she was smiling back.

Ever since that night, she hasn’t smiled this much in a day, let alone an hour. I was processing the pros and the cons. “Who are they?” I questioned.

“They’re the Dawningtons, do you remember? We lived in the same house in California when you were six. Remember their son and you used to be best friends?” He replied.

“I forgot his named...but I remember, then we moved, but mum or dad didn’t tell us why.”I stared at the wall that separated us from them. “We haven’t heard from them since I we were young, it’s been eleven years has it not? So why are they here, why do they care!?” I fired questions at him; my voice arose with every word.

I was fuming, how dare they come after eleven years without even so much of a call. I was on the verge of storming into the opposite room and shouting at them to get the hell out. Until Amethyst started to stroke my cheek, she got that from our mum. The only way to calm me down, I looked at her and smiled. She was beyond beautiful with her deep purple eyes; no wonder her name was Amethyst. I smiled back at her and thanked her silently.

I sighed, and looked at her. “Do you want to move?” I asked her the first of many questions.

“Yes, they’re nice people.” She was only six years old, she needed a new start.

“Is this what you want? A new start?” I looked at her intently, because the word that will come out her mouth will change all of our lives.

“Yes, that’ll be nice.” She was so young, she wouldn’t understand, but she needed an escape from here.

“A fresh start would be nice for us all.” Aaron commented.

Amethyst was nodding her head. “All of us.”

There was a knock on the door, “Is everything okay?” It was Mrs Dawningtons. Aaron looked at me, and then made his way to the door.

“Yeah, everything is fine.” He responded while opening the door wide open.

The three of them made there way into the room, this room was the dining room, everything in this room was handmade. It was the second favourite room of my mums, well after the library.

She absolutely loved this room. I remember when Aaron and I broke the vase when I was ten, it was his fault. We were running around playing chase, and then my jumper got caught on the ceramic golden flowers which were sticking out. However, if I didn’t wear that jumper on that day we wouldn’t have thought of the name Amethyst.

Because as the vase tumbled on the floor and broken into a million pieces, there was a rock, the size of my fist.

It was cut exquisitely; the mirrors that covered the top of the room all reflected the beautiful colour of the rock. It was a deep, unimaginable purple. Saying my mother was mad was an understatement, she was beyond furious.