Chapter Thirteen

"Cas!" Sam and Dean yelled in unison. They both ran over to him, Dean kneeled down beside him while Sam stood on his crutches, leaning towards him. Cas' head began to roll back and forth as he tried to keep it up. "Come on, Cas! You're gonna be ok," Dean said quickly. His eyes began to sting with tears. He took Cas' head into his hands and held it up. "Cas... Cas come on, keep looking at at me!" Dean smiled lightly as Cas' eyes slowly focused on his. "You're gonna be ok," he whispered. He looked up at Sam, his eyes were also welling with tears as he looked back at Dean. "Sam... could you..." He hesitated. "Could you give me and Cas a moment?" Sam stared back at him in complete shock. "... W-what?" He choked out. "C'mon, Sammy." Sam could not believe what he had just heard. He swallowed his tears as he looked at Dean with anger. "Please," he begged, his voice faltering. Sam stared at Dean until he finally understood. (Oh my god) He looked straight into Dean's eyes. (Dean?) (Please) Dean's face distorted with misery and helplessness. Sam swallowed and gasped as he no longer could control his tears. They streamed down his face as he looked at Cas, his chest heaving lightly, and he looked back at Dean. He gave a slight nod as his face continued to moisten in his sorrow. He slowly limped out of the room.

Dean turned back to Cas. He sniffed and held back his tears. "Hey, Cas," he whispered, smiling weakly. Cas' breath rasped as he continued to stare at Dean, too weak to convey much emotion. "I'm sorry... And... I know that you say it's not my fault but..." He trailed off. "Cas... there's just... so much that I wish I could've told you." His breathing became erratic as his tears threatened to fall. "Cas, I..." He bit his quivering lip, even in Cas' final moments he was too afraid to speak. Cas parted his lips as he tried to talk. "... Dean," he finally croaked quietly. "Cas?" Dean stared deeper into his eyes, still holding up Cas' head. With the rest of his energy, Cas leaned forward and kissed Dean.

Despite the glassy, exquisite pain that ripped and tore at Cas' body it was nothing compared to kissing him. Cas pressed his lips against Dean's, the heat of it overthrew his pain as every one of his nerves danced on end. Dean froze, wide eyed, as he felt Cas' soft lips touch his. Despite his shock, he quickly gave in and closed his eyes as he pressed his lips back on Cas'. Their kiss lasted a few more seconds before Dean finally pulled back. He opened his eyes and stared, still shocked at Cas. "Cas," Dean breathed. He blushed brightly at him while Cas looked at him and gave a light smile. His eyes shimmered one last time before all life drained from him.

"Cas?" Dean whimpered as he shook Cas' shoulders. "Cas?!" He yelled. He allowed Cas' head to fall out of his hands. His head slumped back in the chair, his (dead) eyes staring coldly at nothing. "No," he gasped as the tears finally escaped his eyes and fell off his eyelashes. He sank his head into Cas' chest as he sobbed, now uncontrollably. Tears smeared his face and Cas' shirt as he picked his head up from it and stared at Cas' (dead) eyes. The blue he once fell in love with was now nothing more than the dull, lifeless, black of a corpse. He clung to Cas' shirt, balling his hands into fists as he cried out, tears now raining from his face.

~

Sam limped out of the room, wheezing as he silently sobbed. He stood by the doorway that lead to the room and leaned against the wall that was next to it. He sniffed and tried to control his breathing, trying not to make too much noise. He wiped his eyes and peeked into the doorway that lead to the room. Dean was mumbling something to Castiel as Sam pursed his lips together to stop them from quivering. He was about to lean back up against the wall when he saw Castiel lean forward and /kiss/ Dean. Sam froze in absolute shock. As he saw Dean pull away after returning the kiss he whipped his body back and slammed into the wall. (Dean... and /Cas/?!) His head started spinning and he became dizzy and faint. (Dean is... /gay/?!) (No, he can't be gay you've seen all the women he's been with...) (Bisexual?) (Curious?) Sam's heartbeat rang in his ears as he tried to contemplate everything that was happening. (Cas is dying) (Dean and Cas have a thing for each other) (But Cas his dying) (/His heart/) Sam gasped and finally understood that illusive thought. He always suspected Dean and Castiel of having a thing, at least since a month ago, but he never consciously thought of it.

But now it all made sense.