Chapter 2

By the time I traversed to the border of the Summer and Spring courts, the skin on my back has healed. With my glamour hiding the point of my slender ears, I stayed clear of Adriata, the capital of Summer. Only when I am alone do I release the glamour. I've come accustomed to my lesser fae disguise these past centuries, only a few physical changes every decade or so. Sometimes, I wonder at the pointed ears and how strange it is to return to them. 

I peer in the shimmering water of the river at my feet. My dark hair tied loosely back, keeping me cool in the ever-summer heat. I've lived in this court for almost a hundred years and figured it was time for a change. I watch as my hair turns to a lighter auburn brown, better fitting for the Spring court. 

A cool breeze rustles the leaves upon the ground and I relish in its embrace. Soon, I will come across the border and likely a border patrol. Since lesser fae aren't known for being able to glamour, I can easily pass as a return citizen. If I recall, the Tithe is approaching, so Spring court denizens will be crossing the border regularly. I should be able to cross without any strange looks. 

I pass through the river, the cool water lapping at my exposed legs as I hold my dress up. With only a few rations, a cloth for a tent, and a small dagger, my pack is light. I walk into Spring court lands with ease, the patrol glancing at me for only a brief moment. Immediately, the weather changes to a comfortable coolness, the sun above shining with a glorious golden glow. I turn my wrist over and gaze at the matching color etched in a circle, my fingers tracing over it. 

The gaze of the Cauldron tickles my back. 

My first stop is in a quiet village, faeries of all kinds carrying on with their day, preparing for their trek to Rosehall manor, no doubt. Tamlin, the High Lord of Spring Court is ruthless to those who do not pay their Tithe. Without actually being a member of the court, I have no reasons to pay my respects. Perhaps I can find someone who wants their shop looked after while they are gone. 

I stop at a stall selling various trinkets and goods. Necklaces made of dried spring flowers, hand carved wooden figurines, woven gowns and hats, are just a few of the items that catch my eye. Not that I am carrying nearly enough money to pay for any of it. I left almost all of my earnings spread out amongst the servants within the manor of that wretched house in Summer Court. There is, of course, the stash of my lifelong wealth hidden well in the heart of a quiet land. But that requires magic to summon, and I won't do that here, underneath the eyes of all these fae.

"It is just a myth," I hear a raspy voice say. The stall next to me is owned by a burly fae with scaly skin, baskets of food on the shelves. Two beefy, armored fae in gray and white stand at the opening, their swords, strapped to their waists, glisten in the midday sun. An emblem if some sort is etched into their upper right shoulders.

The one with the pale hair frowns, "So you know nothing, then?" His voice is harsh, accusing. He keeps his attention fixed on the stall owner, his partner watching those around them.

The stall owner shakes his head, his fingers at his side, clutching his clothing. "No, I don't," he stutters. At his discomfort, my body tenses, readying to defend this fae if the need arises. I glance around, noting Spring court soldiers and guards. The Tithe always pulls most of them to Rosehall manor, so there aren't that many in the smaller villages. 

The dark haired fae turns to the stall owner and crosses his arms, "If you hear anything, we'll be staying at the inn for a night or two." They shuffle off, the crowd parting from their path. 

I waltz up to the shaken fae, my hands in loose fists at my side. "Are you all right?"

His green eyes flutter to mine. "Can I help you with something?" he asks, looking for a coin purse strapped to my waist, disdain shaping his face when he doesn't see one. 

"I'm looking for work," I say kindly. 

He studies me for a moment, "I can't pay yeh."

I shrug. "That's fine."

"No one does work for free," he spats. 

"I do."

There is a moment of silence as he considers. "Fine," he says. "But only because I have no one else to watch the shop while I travel." I nod. "Start tomorrow morning. Be here when the sun rises."

"Thank you," I take a step away, but turn back around. "What did those two want?"

A worried looks flashes across his face and he looks around. His voice lowers to a whisper, "They're chasing myths." 

"What kind of myths?" I keep my voice calm despite the worry growing in my chest. Myths and legends in these lands usually never end well, especially for me.

He continues speaking as he pulls more vegetables from boxes stashed underneath his table. "Apparently, they think the stories of the Cauldron Incarnate are true."

My body freezes in place, ears ringing. Even the whispers of the Cauldron itself quiets. 

"And they are looking for this being?" I ask, calming my voice.

"Apparently," he responds. "A fool's chase."

"Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow," I say, turning back to the direction the soldiers went. Why, after all this time would they be looking for me? I've kept a very low profile.

The sounds of the market mumble in my ears, distant even though they are all around me. I could leave this village, should leave it. If someone is looking for the Cauldron Incarnate, I need to be as far away as I can. On the other hand, I could trail these soldiers. Learn what they know. Perhaps that will help me keep away from this seeker's gaze.

I stop at the base of the wooden porch that leads to the inn. I chew the inside of my cheek, contemplating whether or not I should enter. There's no way they would recognize me, not with my glamour. 

As I open the door, I am greeted with the smell of booze and stew. The two soldiers sit on benches at a table to the far corner. The only others inside include a few lesser fae spread sporadically about, most of which are drowning their sorrows in mead. 

I take a seat two tables across from the armored fae. They don't even glance in my direction, unbothered by a lesser fae like me. The twitch of a smile pulls at my lips. Fooling arrogant fae like them always makes me chuckle.

A bowl of stew and a cup of mead is dropped in front of me. Having been listening to their conversation, I startle backward. "I'm assuming you wanted some?" A young waitress says. Her green hair reminds me of moss. 

I nod, clearing my throat. "Yes, thank you." She bobs her head curtly before walking back to the bar. 

"This has to be where it is," one of the soldiers argues, his fist curled tightly on the table. The two of them sit slightly hunched over, their elbows on the rough wooden table.  "The Seer, he indicated it would be so." 

I stop stirring the chunks of vegetables and meat in the stew. A Seer? That's rare. And a bit concerning. At least it appears that they aren't sure the one they are seeking is a male or female. My shoulders relax a bit.

"I know," the other one says. They sit quietly for the next few minutes, draining their cups and occasionally watching the patrons of the inn.

The stew is a bit salty, but better tasting than anything I was given back in the manor. I sit staring at my food, my ears on the two fae still when they are handed a note. Curious, I lift my eyes to watch the light-haired one read it in a hushed tone. My ears listen without an issue.

"Word from Aldin," he says and his companion shifts in his seat. "The one we seek is in this town. It--she was last seen..." he cuts off. The other soldier looks at him with impatient anticipation. 

The light-haired solder turns and scans the fae within, all seated and minding their own business. All except...me. Our eyes meet, a spoonful of stew stopped halfway to my mouth. The dark-haired soldier follows his gaze, his hand slowly moving to his weapon. They stand up abruptly, earning a few startled gazes from onlookers. I follow suit, the bench scraping on the floor, and they draw their swords. 

I wave a hand over the table and my money appears out of thin air. Not an ability a lesser fae should possess, and they notice. I smirk as I bolt out the door, the two soldiers after me, their reaction slow.