Chapter 15: Lovebirds

Eventually two different realities existed

There was a reality where we were the Akatsuki, taking part in dangerous missions.

And there was our little love bubble. I liked to imagine that we are just travelers, where Kisame is my brother and Itachi is my lover and we explore the whole world together.
It was just a dream naturally.

The actual reality was a mixture of both. But I tried to pretend the second one is true.

The clock was ticking. In both realities. It was about time for the Akatsuki to start aiming for their main goal, with this, Itachi's death came closer every day.

We were after a mission, I was tired as hell. I laid on the ground by the fire, looking at the stars. Kisame's task was to get dinner while Itachi looked around.

Kisame came back first with fishes and berries.

"Make yourself useful, little lady, and start making dinner"

"Do I have to?" I covered my eyes with my arms. I was exhausted. Kisame gently kicked my legs.

"Move"

"Fine, fine" I sat up and started preparing the fishes, I put them on sticks. This is when Itachi came back and hugged me from behind.

"I see a pretty little wife material here" he said.

"Is it a proposal?" I asked, laughing.

"Do you want it to be?" he was joking, but it was so sweet, my heart melted.

"You two are disgusting" noted Kisame.

We just laughed it off. I took the first guard, Kisame and Itachi went to sleep. At least that's what I belived. Kisame sat next to me when Itachi fell asleep.

"You should rest, big brother" I said.

"Don't call me like that" he answered but I knew he liked it.

"Little lady, I need to talk about something. About today's Akatsuki meeting"

"Yes?"

"You know, two years have passed. And we collected enough money to finally work for the Akatsuki's main goal"

"Capturing the tailed beasts" I nodded.

" I don't think you understand what does it mean. Even though the tailed beasts are sealed in jinchurikies, they are really strong, not like the random shinobis we fought so far. They are strong and some of them know how to use their bijus. We will not have time to chill and walk around like we did the last two years"

"I think I understand. More work, less fun" I said. "But I already know it, more or less. What do you want to talk about?"

"Two things. First, take it seriously and try not to die. I can't guarantee we can save you or help you. It will be though. I trained you well, but it doesn't change the fact you didn't get proper training for 17 years"

"Got it. I will try not to be a burden for you"

"You're not a burden. Just inexperienced. Nevermind. The second thing: I have a gift for you"

I looked at him surprised.

"Gift? What's the occasion?"

"Nothing. We got a small mission for tomorrow, but it's not the closest. I can take care of it alone. You two can spend the day together. Like a normal couple or whatever. You'll probably not have the opportunity to do that again"

"Ah, Kisame, you're so nice" I hugged him.

"Stop, please. Let me tell you, I mostly give you this gift only to make the most of it. So you will not hang on each other all the time"

"I got it" I smiled. I knew he was a nice guy. He couldn't fool me.

Itachi came in guard after me, I told him the good news. We were both looking forward to the next day.

Kisame left early in the morning. We were in the Land of Waterfalls, the risk of getting noticed wasn't that high. We chose a small tourist village to spend the day at.

We held hands, walking around the streets, like any other couple. We kissed after every few steps, bought food, watched the tourist attractions. We totally detached from reality. I wished we could stay like this forever. I tried not to think about what comes after this day.

"What a nice, young couple!" shouted a man on the street to us "Something that worth to see on picture! With a discount, I can take a photograph of you, and get your pictures tomorrow"

My eyes were shining. A picture of us together? A memory that lasts forever. I wanted to have it, but we will be on the road the next day.
Itachi saw my excitement.

"I will pay double amount if the picture will be ready today" he said. The photographer was seriously surprised.

"Sounds good, young man, but I could get more customers meanwhile I take care of your picture"

"Triple amount" he said.

"Love, you don't have to" I said. We didn't call each other on our names on purpose.

"This photograph would make you happy, am I right?"

I didn't say anything. He was right. I wanted that picture.

"Fine" said the photographer. "Come inside my studio"

He took our picture, then he made us promise to be back in two hours for our photo.

I hugged Itachi when we left the studio.

"Thank you" I said.

"No need. You know, I actually didn't want to take this picture, but I know it makes you happy"

"Why?"

"Because you don't have to remember me" he said.

"What are you talking about?"

"I... I hope you will burn or throw away that picture in a couple years. Amane, I really want you to be happy. And even if the thought of you falling in love with someone else kills me, it would be the best for you. After I die, you will be still young. I want you to move on. To find happiness. Don't sacrifice your life for a broken man."

I didn't say anything, my tears were flowing down my face. I didn't want to talk about the future.

I changed the subject instead.

"What are we going to do in the next two hours?"

He kissed my neck and whispered in my ear.

"I have an idea" he said.

I got turned on immediately.

"And tell me where do you want to do it?" I laughed.

He grabbed my hand and took me to a clothes shop. For one or two minutes he acted like he's interested in the clothes and grabbed a couple t-shirts. Then he led me to the changing rooms.
He closed the door behind us.

"Stay silent" he whispered in my ear. He softly pushed me against the wall and undressed me.
We were fast. And he ended up buying one of the t-shirts.

Eventually, we got the photograph. We looked so awkward, but I loved every detail of that picture.

We went back to the woods and sat next to the cave. I couldn't stop looking at that picture. I loved it, it made me cry. Tears of both sadness and joy.

"Put that picture down, Amane, I'm still here" said Itachi and held my face. He kissed me softly.

"How was your day, lovebirds?" Kisame chose this moment to return.

"Good" I said, smiling. "How was the mission?"

"Good. I brought dinner" he said.

All in all, we had a perfect day. One of the lasts.