Chapter 18 ~ A Pinch Of Garlic

Chapter 18 ~ Pinch Of Garlic

"Okay so what am I doing with this one?" I asked for the bazillionth time. I showed the baby pink document to my Dad, who gave me a  disbelieving stare. He knew I knew what to do with it but today I wasn't concentrating.

"Arianna, I don't know what's wrong with you today. You're so good at this. What's on your mind?" Honestly, nothing was on my mind. I was in such a good mood, a mood that wasn't in the mood to work.

"Nothing. I just, I just can't concentrate." I've had a pretty good week especially going back home and everything. I actually met up with Marissa and co yesterday, I hadn't realised that it had been ages since I had seen them.

He gave me skeptical look. It wasn't very often you'd find me like this. "You're not stressed are you? The lack of work isn't getting to your head is it?" I rolled my eyes at his incredulous tone.

"I'm concentrating. I'm being a good girl, helping my Dad in what he needs help in. That's why he asked me for help. Now, the pink form gets filed into its allocated folder after it is scanned and signed, if need be, by the appropriate person." I wasn't nearly as focused and I hadn't convinced my Dad. He gave me a smile, knowing that I could just about handle my task. I just needed time, about two thousand years to get it done.

I checked over the form before placing it away, it had already been signed. This was all part of my Dad's job, he might be the King's right hand advisor but he had a ton of admin to do. "You still know what you want to do sweetie?" I only vaguely heard his voice, the document in my hand was taking too much of my concentration.

"Hmmm?" I responded and ripped my eyes away from it.

"You still know what you aspire to?" He asked. I took a moment to think.

"Can't I just be the person I am now?" I questioned. He gave me a crooked smile, but was nostalgic in the eyes.

"You can, you are a wonderful young lady, but your... career aspirations?" I half smiled, I knew what he was talking about. I had wanted to become a kind of activist for people's rights and needs, even though the Kingdom was pretty fair. New conflicts just started all the time.

He wanted to know if I wanted to take my ambitions at a different angle by that meaning: becoming Queen instead of a member of the board. I hadn't spoken to my parents about it. I just knew they'll figure it out.

I shrugged. "I'm all about the now. The future holds a whole lot of stuff... that if I thought about it, I would get a headache."

"Avoiding the question, just like your mother."

"Well I am her daughter, you know I've read somewhere that offspring usually get characteristics from their parents," I said sarcastically. He rolled his eyes at me and scowled but smiled afterwards. "How did you and Mom meet again?"

His nostalgic eyes came back and his smile softened. "She was a headstrong women, very much how you are, and she was running towards her goals and ambitions. She had a good few choice of words for people who were against her. She didn't want anyone or anything to get in her way and it she became quite popular because of it. The King at the time admired her determination and helped her open her foundation. Now, as you know my parents were Nobles at the time and my Mother was in charge of things like charities and whatnot so they worked together." I could see my Dad blush a little, he looked away so he didn't get embarrassed but honestly I understood how he felt. "Her work expanded over kingdoms and when my Mom got sick she made me work with her from that point."

"But you were already so in love with her?" I gushed.

"Yes, yes I was. She just entranced me in a way that no one else could. She was just so goddamn stubborn, she had planned her whole life but the only thing she hadn't anticipated was me." I always liked that part, it highlighted the fact that life was unpredictable no matter how much you try to plan. It also reminded me that I was very much like my Mother and I was proud of that.