26. Volunteer More Time To The Kitchen

Lizzy had always thought this item on the list was going to be a slam dunk. She assumed it would be okay to just find any kitchen and volunteer to help out and use her expert serving skills to make a very valuable contribution. Yet the more she thought about it, the more complicated it became. Hayden wasn't talking about any kitchen, he was referring to a kitchen that he already volunteered his time with. The twenty-sixth item on the list doesn't say volunteer time, but volunteer more time which to her meant he had already been a volunteer in someone's kitchen. The only question she had to answer now was whose kitchen was he referring to? Lizzy wanted to seek help like she had many times before, but at the same time was determined to take care of this one herself. There couldn't be that many kitchens in the area that accepted help from volunteers, and it seemed like the right idea to start at the locations close to Hayden's old firehouse and work her way out.

     After checking with a few charity kitchens, Lizzy suddenly realized she was attacking this item the wrong way. Rather than look based on geography, she had to look at this how Hayden would have. He wouldn't just start working in a kitchen for no reason at all. He had to have a very good reason to do anything, and something or someone convinced him to be at this kitchen. It was here when Lizzy came with the answer. She was confident it was the right one, and traveled to the neighborhood where Hayden grew up to prove it. She had called ahead to the church where Hayden attended to see if there was a kitchen that served to the needy, and there was. It was open three days a week, serving food to those less fortunate every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It was all she needed to know, for she finally had her answer. Hayden's kitchen was more about doing something good for those less fortunate then himself; it was also about spending time with a good friend who also donated his time for charity. The next night the kitchen was open couldn't come soon enough for Lizzy but when she got there, a huge smile came across her face as she walked in. Father Adam O'Reilly was there as well and didn't hesitate to return the smile and wave to her. She walked up and gave the priest a big hug.

     "It's nice to see you again." She said, pleasantly surprised.

     "It is." Adam confirmed. "Are you here to volunteer?"

     "You mean like Hayden did?" Lizzy asked.

     "Did he tell you about that?" Adam asked her back.

     "No, I figured it out on my own." Lizzy answered. "I've learned a lot about Hayden that I didn't know before since his passing."

     "That is wonderful." Adam replied, "I was very worried about you. I hope that you remember that you're always welcome to come by if you ever need to talk or vent."

     "I appreciate that." Lizzy said as she looked around. "I would still like to help out if you need an extra pair of hands."

     "Always." Adam said with a smile as he led her to the kitchen.

     She did various tasks and never complained as she was there to do the stuff that Hayden did, and the best way to achieve that would be to do as much as she could to help out and one of them should be something he did. Washing dishes, serving meals, and even a little cooking was what she managed to get done in the few hours she was there. Jumping from job to job allowed the regulars who were there to take a full break in the middle of their work without being called back too quickly, which was greatly appreciated. When it was her turn to take a break, she had company as Father Adam appeared at her table with some soup and a warm cup of coffee for her.

     "It's the least I can do after all the hard work you've done tonight." He said.

     "Thank you." Lizzy replied, as she was quite hungry.