You Over Her

Things had been pretty tense around the compound over the past week. A new recruit, Carol, had just moved in with us and you were the person she sort of latched onto from the first day. It started out when Tony had asked you to show Carol to her room. Nothing serious whatsoever, just a simple act of politeness to help her find her way around the place and make herself at home. It, however, led to you helping her unpack her stuff which meant the two of you had a lot of time to chat. Your relationship that developed after this was innocent, as far as you were concerned. You knew that she instantly felt comfortable around you and that you were one of the 'cool' ones, so your friendship blossomed from there. 

She was a surprisingly closed off person so she was happy with only having a couple friends, those being you, Peter and Thor, but mainly you. Because you were fully aware of her inability to feel comfortable around the others without you there, you would just try and be a good friend by hanging out with her often, watching movies with her, training with her, showing her cool spots in the city, and whatever she wanted. Not because you preferred spending time with her any more than you did with anyone else, but she didn't really have anyone else so you didn't want her to feel lonely.

As sweet and as caring as this all seemed, your girlfriend didn't seem to see things the same way. Yep, Natasha would watch the two of you when you would go down to the training room together or would disappear for hours at a time, only to return with Carol with ice cream in hand. From what she could see, Carol was trying to take you away from her and she didn't like it. It wasn't you that she didn't trust, it was her. But still... you didn't make a huge effort to reassure her at times when you'd go missing or deny any of Carol's offers to do something or go somewhere. At best, you'd kiss her quickly, say you're sorry and that you'll be back soon and off you'd go. Although you would come back to your shared room every night and snuggle up to her, the same affection was not reciprocated and Nat would usually give you the cold shoulder. 

This had been going on for around a week now and with yours and Carol's friendship only growing stronger and stronger, it was getting harder and harder to say no to her requests and pleas for you to ditch your girlfriend and join her instead. Each time it happened you would feel an overwhelming flush of guilt wash over you as your poor girlfriend would frown and pout at you when you would get up and go. You just couldn't help it. You were a people-pleaser and saying no was very difficult. But in this situation, someone was bound to get hurt no matter what, and it's a shame that the person was Nat.

On this particular night, you were just laid on your bed scrolling through your phone whilst Nat sat beside you reading her book. The two of you hadn't said a word to each other but there was definitely some hostility. Carol had burst in with Peter looking all giddy and bouncing up and down. The two of them dragged you out of your bed saying that you needed to come with them and watch a movie. That was around 10 minutes ago now and you had now settled down in the living room and Peter was setting up the TV so that you could start the movie. You were now also joined by Wanda, Pietro, Thor, Clint, Sam and Bucky. Whilst in a light discussion with Sam and Carol you felt for your phone to realize you had left it in your room when you were dragged out of there, so you excused yourself and got up, heading for your room.

On the way there, walking down the corridors you thought you'd try and persuade Nat to come join you. You wanted her there. You always wanted her around to be fair but she isn't very fond of Carol so it was hard to be with them both at once. You were still going to try anyway. Maybe it might break some of the tension between you two. You had no idea what had gotten her so worked up but you hadn't taken the time to find out what it was.

You strutted in to find Nat in the same position you had left her in. She glanced up at you, only to the look straight back down at her book, not even bothering to send you a smile. Time to do some buttering up, you thought. You crawled over the bed to her, placed a firm kiss on her cheek and stared straight into her eyes. "Nat..." you teased, placing your hand on her thigh. "...we're watching a movie, wanna come join?" Still not looking at you she mumbled an unenthusiastic 'no thanks' before turning the page. You frowned, wondering what's made her so cold all of a sudden. "But I want you there." you pouted, giving your best puppy dog eyes but they didn't work. "I'm sure you'll be just fine with Carol there. You seem to like being with her more than me anyways." So that's what this was about. No matter how much you thought you had reassured her throughout the week, clearly it didn't do the trick.

"Is this why you've been ignoring me all week? Nat I'm just helping her settle in that's all, you know that." She scoffed, putting her book down and finally looking at you in the eyes. Uh oh, this can't be good. "I'VE been ignoring YOU?! Y/N, you've done nothing but leave me at any given opportunity to go hang out with her. Last time I checked, I was your girlfriend, not her. Though probably not for much longer." She folded her arms and sat up, making sure to stare you down, to the point where you were the one not making eye contact anymore. "Nat, you know that's not true." You said in a small voice, shaking your head and meeting her gaze again. She just huffed and rolled her eyes. "I thought I made it clear enough that I didn't have eyes for anyone but you. You know how much you mean to me yet you still want to throw out accusations..." her gaze softened just hearing those words but she was trying to look mad at you, so she held back her smile. 

"... do you honestly think, for a SECOND, that she has anything on you?" You could see her visibly relax as you went on but you knew it would take a lot more than that to get her to break. Time for a big long speech:

"SHE isn't the one who I sleep next to every night. SHE doesn't leave me a flustered, butterfly filled mess after every kiss. SHE isn't the one who runs to the store and buys me candy and cuddles me for hours when I'm on my period. SHE doesn't know the exact point on my back that I like to be scratched, or the part of my neck that I love to be kissed. SHE doesn't hold me close during horror movies because she knows I find them terrifying. SHE doesn't know what shower gel I use, or that I prefer white toothpaste to blue. SHE isn't the one who lets me play with her jewellery when I'm nervous, or draw on her when I'm bored in meetings. SHE isn't the one who whispers tons of Russian words in my ear every night because she knows it sends me to sleep. HER initial isn't engraved in my necklace, her birthday isn't my phone password and I don't ever want to wear her hoodies. Why? Because she's not you. YOU know all of these things about me that she could never, and will never. All of that, and you have the audacity to think that I would choose her over you."

You got up and headed towards the door, fighting back the tears that were threatening to spill and taking deep breaths to try and steady yourself. You didn't even look to see how she reacted. Before you left, with your back to her, you quietly remarked: "I'll be in the living room, and there's a seat with your name on it if you change your mind." You closed the door and walked back to the living room, composing yourself and entering as if nothing had happened. You sat, making yourself comfortable as Peter started the movie. You weren't even 10 minutes in when footsteps came from behind and a redhead hauled herself over the sofa, landing in your lap. You chuckled, readjusting your position so that you were cradling her and the two of you stared at each other lovingly: something which you hadn't done for almost a week now. 

"I love you, I'm sorry." she muttered, ashamed of how she lashed out at you. "Don't be sorry, you were right. I'm not leaving you anymore." You smirked, as she gently rubbed your neck. "And I love you too." The two of you caught Carol staring at you both angrily, which made you smirk and look back at Nat, who was also smirking at Carol's evident jealousy. "How about we show her who I belong to?" you mumble, leaning in closer. "I like that idea." The gap between you closed and your lips connected. The kiss was passionate and lingering and it was full of desire and need. It wasn't long until it evolved and the two of you were straight up making out on the couch in front of everyone. Luckily no one was paying attention, except Carol, and the two of you went at it until your lips were swollen and bruised, whispering small I love you's between breaks.