Chapter 10

I grabbed the edge of the cart when we came to an abrupt stop. "Levi," I said, shaking him.

"Next stop!" a voice yelled. "If this is your stop!"

Levi groaned and yawned. "Yeah, yeah-"

"We have other places we need to be!" the centaur called.

"Sorry!" I called back as I set Teddy down and gathered the bags. "Teddy, hold Levi's tail."

"Foxy!" Teddy said, clapping before grabbing his tail.

Levi flinched and shot me a glare.

"Sorry," I said, cringing. "Teddy, gentle." I heaved the bags over my shoulders and quickly headed out. I gave a nod to the centaur. "Thank you."

Teddy waved.

"All right!" Levi changed and grabbed the bags. He stuck a finger in my face. "Don't do that again."

"I'm sorry," I said, holding up my hands. "You weren't moving fast enough, and they sounded like they wanted us off."

"They could wait just a little bit longer."

I rolled my eyes. "I wasn't intending for him to continue to hold your tail, only for the brief moments. You can't leave a one year old without instruction- Teddy?" My heart stopped as I looked around. Where was he? "Teddy! No, no." I spun around a few times.

Levi shoved the bags into my hands. "Wait here." He morphed into a letrik and began sniffing.

I bit my lip. Five seconds. I knew I shouldn't have let him out of my sight!

I flinched as a unicorn walked by, his or her horn coming too close for comfort. I exhaled a long breath as I looked around for a place to sit down. The more I looked around, the sicker I felt. I was in a different world and lost Teddy. Would they try and take him from me? "I'm a terrible mother," I whispered, hugging myself.

"Hey."

I jumped as someone placed a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see a half goat, half human. A faun. "Hi-hi."

She smiled. "Are you all right?"

"Ye-yes. My son wandered off, and a... friend is looking for him."

"Your son?"

I gave a nod. "Is something wrong?"

"No, not at all," she said with a smile.

I hugged my arm to my side, trying not to gawk at the two horns, one broken that protruded from her hand, large and curled, like a ram's.

"What does it look like?"

I quickly described Teddy.

She tapped her finger against her chin. "I think I saw him."

"Really?!" I said, my eyes lighting up.

"Yes. Curious little guy. This way."

"Thank you." I glanced around. Levi could smell me, so it was fine, right? I hosted the bags onto my back and quickly hurried to follow.

"It's not often that we see centaur children running around in human form," she said, brushing some of her hair over her shoulder.

"We-we, uh, have been to the human world a few times, so he's had to learn how to use two legs." I rubbed the back of my neck before realizing we were at a dead end, and she was now behind me.

"Funny."

I gasped and backed away when she pulled out a knife.

She examined the blade before looking up at me. "I thought only five year olds were allowed through those doors unless with special permission." She laughed, sending shivers up and down my spine. "But you wouldn't know that, would you, human?"