Chapter 2

The woman didn't wake until around eight. I helped sit her up and gave her chicken soup to eat, hoping that wouldn't upset her stomach.

"Thank you," she whispered, quietly munching.

I was quiet for a long moment. "Ma'am, can you tell me where you live so I can take you home? Or someone I can call to come and get you?"

She set her bowl on her lap before sighing. "I'm sorry, I can't go home, not yet."

I frowned a little. "Why not?"

"It's too dangerous. My husband forced me to leave so I wouldn't get caught up in it. Unfortunately, partway to the safe house, we were attacked, and I was forced to enter this world."

"This world?" I echoed, still wishing to understand that meaning.

She either didn't hear or ignored my comment. "We have a meeting place that I'm supposed to be at every week. So far, he nor anyone else have been there yet." She bit her lip as tears formed. "I-I don't know if he's made it." She began taking deep breaths as if to calm herself.

My heart panged in my chest. I placed my hand on her arm. "I'm sorry." I was amazed at how well she was dealing with this all. If it were, I probably would have been a ball shaking in the corner.

She forced a smile as tears trickled down her cheeks. "I-I'm not even fully sure that I'm at the right spot."

I nodded. "Are you allergic to anything? Any food preferences because you're pregnant?"

"Soups suit me better actually, so good choice," she said, holding up the bowl for a brief second. She took a few spoonfuls before placing them aside.

I took a deep breath. "Come, you can sleep in my bed."

"Are you sure?"

I smiled. "Of course, you're pregnant." I helped her off the couch and to my twin size bed. I moved back the covers and helped her lay down. "The bathroom is through that door. Call me if you need anything."

"Thank you so much... My name is Ruby."

I gave a nod. "Mine's Crystal."

"Crystal..." She took my hand in both of hers. "When I am reunited with my husband, you shall be rewarded for your generosity."

"Um, thank you-"

Her eyes locked with mine, large and pleading. "Please, don't tell anyone I'm here. If they ask for a Ruby, ask if they're talking about a gemstone."

"What?"

"Please. If they knew you are with me, you could be in danger."

Danger? I inwardly sighed, wondering if I was getting in over my head. "I promise."

"So if they ask if I've seen someone named Ruby?"

I was quiet for a moment. "Are you talking about a gemstone?"

She smiled. "If they respond with, no, but if you see an amethyst, let me know; they're safe."

I gave a nod, feeling confused and slightly panicked. "You should rest. Don't hesitate to wake me up, okay?"

She nodded and adjusted her position.

I slowly went up and exited the room, leaving the door cracked open. I took a seat on my couch and began my dinner.

*~*~*~*~*

The following day, I woke on my couch. I sat up and stretched before groaning at the small stiffness in my back. "That wasn't a dream. Holy cow, that wasn't..." I pressed my hand against my temple and began taking slow deep breaths before pushing myself to my feet. I peeked in on Ruby to see she was still fast asleep. I grimaced. She was likely in need of a shower, but I didn't want to wake her. Would she be stable enough to shower? I took in a slow deep breath, telling myself to worry about it once she was awake.