Chapter Two: Tears

Caroline's POV
I flashed him a weak smile as he picked my purse up off of the ground and handed it to me. "Hey", I said not knowing what else to say. My eyes wandered and I tucked my hair behind my ear. He just stared at me. It was like he was in a trans. "Stefan?" He looked away then looked back at me. "Hey Care". I almost forgot I was mad at him. I felt this heat inside me, I was more sad than angry. My eyes watered but I held back the tears. Stefan looked concerned. "I missed y-" I cut him off before he could finish his sentence. "Stefan, I- I have to get to class". There was a quick moment of silence and then he nodded. I walked off fast. I didn't want to talk to him. It hurt too much.
_______________________
Stefan's POV
Confusion spread through my mind. Had I upset Caroline? I thought she would be happy to see me? I needed to know what was bothering her. I needed to know she was okay. I vamp sped down the hall towards Caroline. I grabbed her shoulder and she turned around. A tear ran down her perfect cheek. I wiped it away with the pad of my thumb.
_________________________
Caroline's POV
Stefan wiped the tear off of my cheek. I closed my eyes and then slowly looked up at him. I could tell he was concerned by the look in his eyes. His emerald green eyes. So captivating. No, Caroline. Stop. Focus. Stefan tried to hug me but I backed up. "What's wrong Care?" he said with worry in his voice. What's wrong? How the hell does he not know. "I'm fine, Stefan." I lie. I turned around to walk away but he stopped me. "Caroline. C'mon. You don't have to pretend with me." He said almost whispering. "I'm fine Stefan!" my voice cracked and tears started to swell up in my eyes again.
_______________________
Stefan's POV
Caroline's eyes looked glossy. Like she was about to cry. Any other person wouldn't have noticed but I know Caroline by heart. She's my best friend. She opened her mouth to say something but closed it like she was scared. She looked down at her feet. "Care?" I was worried that maybe this had something to do with me. She looked up. "You left us- you left me Stefan." She whispered. I could hear the heart break and disappointment in her voice. "Caroline, I-" I didn't know what to say. "How could you just leave us?" Her whisper turned into a yell.
________________________
Caroline's POV
I yelled at him but I didn't care. I was in rage. That's all I could feel. "I know you lost your brother, and bonnie, but we lost them to, Stefan!" I was crying now. Stefan finally spoke up. "I'm sorry, okay! But I did what I had to do. I started over-you know, I couldn't come near Mystic Falls, or Elena, or any of my old friends, or-" "Or me? Because I thought we were closer than that." I was still crying. I wiped my face with the back of my hands. I let out a heavy sigh and another tear fell to the ground. "You couldn't hear through all those messages I left you? How we were falling apart without you! How I was falling apart without you!" Stefan stood there staring at me processing what I had just said. He looked guilty. I waited for his response but he didn't answer. That's when I realized. "You never listened to them?" I whispered. He looked down. "Caroline, I had to move on. I didn't have a choice. I had to erase everything." I was hurt and overwhelmed with sadness. "Well, let me summarize them for you. You're a dick." I vamp sped to my car. By now I was crying even harder than before. I got to my house and immediately went to my room. Saying all those things to Stefan didn't make me feel any better. I looked in the mirror. My eyes were red and puffy, mascara was running down my cheeks. I turned around to go to the bathroom and wipe off my face and found Elena standing in the doorway to my room. I tried to smile but I couldn't stop crying. I put both of my hands on my face and then ran them through my blonde hair. Elena walked up to me and hugged me tight. I guess she was at Whitmore earlier and heard everything. I was lucky to have Elena as my best friend. It felt nice to be hugged. We haven't been hanging out as much as we used to, but that didn't change how strong our friendship is. We've been best friends since the first grade.
_______________________
Elena's POV
We pulled out of the hug. Caroline looked depressed. I rarely ever see her cry. She's always bubbly and happy. It hurt to see her so sad. I didn't know that when Stefan left it hurt her so much. I should've talked with her more. I looked up at her. She was wiping the streaming tears from her face with her hands. "I'm a mess." she said trying to smile through the crying. "C'mon, let's go get you cleaned up." I grabbed her hand and walked her to the bathroom. I opened up the drawer and got out the makeup remover. I gently rubbed the makeup off of her eyes. "There. You're all clean now." I said. "Oh and I have something for you." I reached into my purse and grabbed the blood bag that I put in there this morning. It was supposed to be for me but I wanted Caroline to have it. I handed it to her. "Thank you, Elena." She smiled. "Your welcome." I smiled back at her. "Well, I guess I should be leaving now." I looked at my phone. It was 4:30 pm. I hugged her "Call me if you need anything, okay?" I said when I started to walk out the door. "Wait. Elena." I stopped and turned around. "Please don't leave me. Please stay." She started to cry again. I knew I couldn't leave her like this. I put my purse down on the bathroom counter. "Of course, Care." I looked at her sympathetically. I needed to be there for her.
________________________
hey guys!! sorry for the slow updates!!! comment what you think about this fan fic so far! and thank you so much for 200 reads it means a lot!!!!