14

It was about thirty minutes later when we decided to do the cake and presents before sitting everyone down to eat.

Luke and Anna reappeared out of the house carrying the two cakes. I had told Luke that one cake was fine but he insisted that the kids deserved a cake each, regardless of the fact there was only maybe twenty people here.

Connors cake was green with a brown dragon breathing fire from its mouth and a big green 'four' candle placed at the top, while Emelias cake was pink with a picture of a princess on it. There was a plastic happy birthday tiara on the top and a pink 'four' candle on top of the tiara.

The kids quickly ran to the table to wait for Luke and Anna to carry their cakes as I stood behind them with Kyles arms wrapped around me as my back pressed into his chest, while my mom just grinned at us and took a bunch of pictures.

Ava was the first to start singing the iconic birthday song.

"Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday Connor and Emelia,
Happy birthday to you."

Everyone sang together before Anna told them to make a wish and they blew out their candles. I watched as they secretly whispered their wishes to each other, bringing a smile to my face.

They had a thing that they had started last year when they could half speak where they told each other their wishes and then once the presents were opened they would tell us all what they had wished for, last year they happened to get just what they wished for much to my relief.

Luke and Anna carried the cake back inside to the food table before we all gathered at the table in the yard where all the presents were set.

They were spoiled. Between them they had gotten just about every toy they could have asked for, as well as enough clothes to last them the rest of the year, even if I threw away their current clothes.

"Thank you." They both smiled as they opened each present. I was fortunate that even though they were spoiled they were also always polite.

The last gift they came too was Kyles. His mom had given them both money which they thanked her for, but four year olds didn't really care for money like older kids.

Connor opened his first, revealing a new orange and black bicycle. He had been asking for one, and even though I couldn't afford it, he had begged me to let him buy both of them bikes.

"Uncle Kyle Thank you!" Connor ran up to him and hugged him. "It's just the one I wanted."

Upon seeing what her brother got, Emelia tore into her wrapping paper to unveil a pink glittery bike with a baby seat on the back for her baby dolls causing her to squeal as everyone laughed, everyone but his mother.

"This is the best day ever!" She exclaimed rushing to hug his legs.

"You're welcome munchkins." Kyle smiled as I cuddled into the side of him as his mother scoffed from the other side of him.

I was trying my hardest not to say anything, determined not to let anything ruin this day for the kids. Ava had apparently heard her and looked at me sympathetically, her eyes saying 'you'll get used to it' as I kept trying to hold my tongue.

I bent down to the kids eye level and took one of their hands in each of mine.

"So what was your birthday wish?" I asked as they shook their heads.

"After food. We didn't get our wish yet, and if we tell you it won't come true." Connor said as Emelia nodded.

"Fair enough." I smiled as Ava helped me go inside to get them food.