Chapter 6 - Consequences

Adam was probably angry with me because I never saw him for the rest of the day. Then when I spotted him the next day when I was alone, he didn’t speak to me or either look at me, he just pasted by as if I wasn’t even there.

Karin sat outside with me that night, while the rest of the guards were at a party.

"Do you think we'll ever go back home?" Karin asked.
I shook my head, “Not until the Nazis aren’t in power, and that will only happen if Germany lose this war."

"Do you think they know, about us?"
"Us?" I said confusedly.
"Yes, the way they treat the Jews. Do you think they'll help us?"

I shrugged my shoulders, “I don’t know, but I hope so. I pray every night before I go bed, if God really did exist.. Wouldn’t he prevent these things happening? Stop all this suffering and torture?"

Karin began to weep quietly, I placed my hand on her shoulder, “It’s okay... I'm sorry I didn’t mean to-"
"It's not only you, its Joshua, I can’t find him anywhere.. I don’t know where he could be!"

My eyes widened, I rose to my feet, "Come on then, let’s see if Adam has seen him he can help us."
"But isn’t he ignoring you?" She sniffed.

I stopped in my tracks, "Do you think that will stop me, I'm just inquiring that’s all."

I knocked on the little entry gate hut door, Adam had his hat over his face; he looked as if he was sleeping.

I knocked louder the second time, he suddenly woke up, "W…What!"

"Adam, Karin's brother hasn’t returned back to the Ghettos, do you know where he could be?"
"All Jews need to be back by now, he should be there." He said strictly, “You best be going back too."
"But he’s not there!" Karin cried.
"Then I can’t help you."  Adam replied turning away.

I frowned, "Hey stop it!"

"Stop what?" He said obliviously.

He was treating us as if he didn’t know us, being all formal and official. It was beginning to become irritating.

"You’re annoyed because you had to stop an Nazi from shooting me, but I never asked you to protect me! I'm no different from any other Jew here. I should have died and I wish I did." I said in the verge of tears.

As I began to walk away Adam gripped my arm, he serious look in his eyes, “You don’t mean that."
"What? Sorry I thought you didn’t know me." I snapped as tears streamed down my cheeks.

"I can’t watch you die. Anyone else, it would have been not so bad. But because it’s you. And to hear you say that it.."
"It what?" I asked angrily.

"Kills me! It kills me to see that you let this place get to you, that you don’t want to live for your family or Karin... Or me." He admitted.

I looked up at his brown eyes full of hurt and sorrow, I lowered my head, “I... I did mean it because at the end, you'll have to kill me."
"What? No I would never-"
"But what if an officer asked you to, as an order? You would have no choice then, would you?" I sobbed, “I’m just going to be another body for you and your friends to toss aside like litter!"

"NO! Stop it! I wouldn’t shoot you. I wouldn’t give a shit about the consequences because I... I care too much." He yelled.

I looked up at him in disbelief, “But you can’t, you’re a-"
"A Nazis? Yeah I know that. But I also know, I won’t ever let anyone cause you harm." Adam said firmly.