Chapter 5 - The factory

Weeks passed since we were forced into the Ghettos. We just about had enough food to keep us going and we are all tightly together. But I have grown to know other new people and hear their stories. Even though we all get on each other’s nerves now and then, from the lack of sleep and tiredness from working almost all day.

"Did you sleep well, father?"  I asked him the following morning.

"No... As usual. What about you? How has work been in the factory?" He asked.

I shrugged, "Fine I guess, but I need a lot more help with my sew work. See you later."

He nodded and walked out the gates with Tomas, he had a worried look on his face as he turned away from me.

"Amit, come on or we'll be late!" Karin called.               

I grunted as I wondered down the cracked pavement. I hated work; I don’t know how adults cope... But I wasn’t an adult.  They had days off and breaks, they got paid good enough money.. We hardly have any breaks, no days off; we just get paid a worthless amount of money. In real jobs your boss doesn’t kill or hurt you if you don’t do the job probably. They would just fire you. But they certainly do 'fire' you here; fire a bullet through your skull.

"Am I getting better?" I asked Karin.

She nodded, “Yes, yes. You just need to learn how to do that every time now."

"Stop talking, more working." An officer shouted.

I sighed as I continued sewing, Karin wondered, “So is there anyone you have the eyes for?"

I blinked in confusion, "What on earth are you talking about, Karin?"

 “As if you don't know, Hans-"

I turned to her pressing my finger on my lips, "You don't know whose listening, and I have other matters to be concerned about. How can you even think of that, have you seen where we are?"

"You sound just like him, so he must have left an impression on you." She commented.

I frowned turning away hiding my red cheeks, "I have better things to think about."

If any Nazi officers heard us he would fire Adam, might even kill him for going against the Nazis. I had to not talk to him, but why was he speaking to us, is he interested in helping us? Of course not, I couldn't get any ideas of hope inside my head. I got no hope left inside of me.

It's getting worse by the day; more and more bodies lay in the streets. So much that everyone has grown use to it and past by as if it was normal. I was becoming more and more petrified. What if one day a Nazi decides to shoot me and I'm one of those bodies and I just lay there and no one would care. What if Adam is ordered to shoot me or my family or Karin? Then they would be just another body lying there...

I know, I can’t think this way, I shouldn’t, the thought of it drives me insane. But if you're in a place this, then its all you can think about.

"Work! Work!" A officer spat losing patience, as he pressed his gun close to my head.

I froze as tears began bubbling up, I had to work or he would press the trigger. But how could I with someone was holding a gun against me? Maybe this was it. I was going to die, humiliated, undignified and covered in shame. It was going to be dark, but it would have been okay. I wouldn’t have minded.

What did I have to live for after all? To be a worthless Jew, watch people around me suffer? No I'd rather die, I'd rather rejoin my mother in heaven. No one needed me, father could look after Tomas, Karin had her brother. Adam had the Nazis and was treated well.

"You stupid Jew I'll paint this room with your blood if you..!!" The officer shouted loudly.

"Calm down, Peter." A voice said, “We need these workers to get the deadline, if we don’t make it, the boss wouldn’t be too happy would he?"

He lowered his gun, I slowly raised my head in disbelief to see Adam. I didn’t understand. What made me so different from everybody else here?

He gave me the strangest look. As if it was his silent discourage look was to say 'Do you want to die or something?’ then he walked out.

Karin touched my shoulder gently, I looked back at her, “I’m… I’m sorry."