chapter four

When we enter the cabin in which the four of us share, I notice how modernly it is decorated. I guess I was kind expecting some old-fashioned woodsy cabin with an outhouse. But this cabin definitely had a bathroom; in fact it had two. I was actually pleasantly surprised, and I didn’t feel as horrible about moving out of my home and away from my mother.

            There were four separate bedrooms, so the girls quickly scattered to claim the best one for themselves. I, on the other hand, waited for them to settle before claiming the left over room. Entering my new room, I notice a full size bed, a desk with a chair, and a dresser. I sit on the bed positioned to look out the window on the far wall. A grassy green field spreads out to a sparkling blue lake with a sprinkling of trees scattered throughout.

            “Hey, we’re going out, you gonna join us?” Jordan pokes her head in and asks. I nod and get up to follow her.

            We wander the streets of the town and I notice several small shops lined up to cover the necessities of a living being but not much else. The street suddenly changes to a gravel path leading to a field were lots of people our age are fighting each other.

            “What are they doing?” I wonder out loud.

            “Practicing.” A familiar voice says from behind me. I turn around and see Nash watching me with a guarded expression. “They need to be ready to defend themselves at any time. One never knows when danger could strike, and it is best to be prepared at all times.”

            “Danger?” I ask, even though I’m pretty sure I know what he means.

            “Cyclopes have been seen lately and gorgons roam the outside forests on the other side of the barrier.” He states, still watching me carefully.

            “Nash, shut up, you are going to scare again.” Kristina reprimands, grasping my arm softly.

His eyes widen and he backs up. “I’m sorry Storm. That is the last thing I mean to do.”

            I glare at Kristina then turn back to him with a soft smile. “It’s fine Nash. The fact that you are being honest overrides the fact that you are talking about things that could kill me.”

            This softens his expression and he even smiles a little. I don’t understand what his problem is but ever since my overreaction earlier in Mr. Brinager’s office, he has been very hesitant and nervous.

            “Storm! I’ve been looking for you.” Mr. Brinager rushes up to me. “You are going to have to start lessons soon. I was hoping you’d be up for starting tomorrow.”

            “Of course. Who will be teaching me?”

            “I can teach you!” Cookie wraps her arm around my shoulders.

            “Actually I was hoping Nash could teach you since he has been training his whole life. You up for it Nash?”

            “Yes, of course sir.” Nash looks anywhere but me but his eyes are wide and almost excited.

            “Good. You will start 7 A.M. in the morning, after breakfast. Now, time for you to be off to bed.” He then turns around and yells to everyone in the field. “CURFEW!”

            Everyone scatters to their cabins and after a wave to Nash; I let the girls drag me back to ours.