Chapter 45

When I enter the training room, I hear a lowered voice from the infirmary. Maybe I should declare my presence, but instead I sneak closer to the wall.

"I don't know," a girl whispers. "They're talking right now, but I'm not allowed in the room. They'll tell everyone later, though." She sighs. "Yes, I will."

My forehead creases, wondering who she's talking to since no one seems to reply.

I clear my throat right before peeking around the corner, my eyes diving straight to the phone in Katia's hands. I'm pretty sure most Phantoms weren't allowed to bring their phones. Maybe Katia gets special treatment because of her sick grandfather, but her gaze is so cold and threatening I decide it's better not to ask.

"S-sorry." My cheeks heat up as she continues to stare me down. "Have you seen Maya?"

Katia shoves the phone into an inner-pocket in her jacket and flips her hair over one shoulder.

"Why would she be here?" Her voice is even icier than her light blue eyes.

"I-I, eh," I start, stunned by her reaction. She acts like I walked in on her murdering someone. "My bandages... I wanted to remove them."

"Sit down," she says and gives me a light shove toward the row of chairs. I stumble and fall, my butt slamming down onto the chair. "Put your arms out."

I do as she says and rest my arms on my thighs. With two swift tugs, she pulls my sweater up. The bandages look nasty, their edges slightly peeling off, with a rust-brown streak running down the middle of them.

"You should have removed them already," she says, her nose wrinkled. "Has Mikey removed his yet?"

The mention of Mikey hits me in my gut, even now. I don't think that reaction will ever go away while he's held captive.

"Haven't... Haven't you heard?" I breathe.

Katia walks over to the med kits and soaks a couple of cotton pads with cleansing alcohol. She turns to me and frowns. "Heard what?"

I swallow hard.

Wasn't she here when they told me everything? She must've still been with her family.

Her entire face falls when I hesitate.

"Charlie, what happened?" She kneels in front of me again and starts to peel off the bandages, but her eyes keep flickering up to me.

"Mikey, he... Regina has him."

Words I never thought I would have to say.

"What?" Katia's shoulders sink. Her heavy bangs cover most of her face when she glances down, but I can tell she's shocked.

I finish peeling the last bandage off, the one around my finger, and swipe a cotton pad over my wounds. They're closed, but still a little raw.

"He's okay," I say through gritted teeth. "I'm sure Will is thinking up a masterplan to save him."

When she meets my eyes again, she doesn't look as angry or surprised as I expect. She just looks tired.

"When?" She shakes her head. "I spent my day in the city waiting for a stupid meeti—" She sighs and snaps her mouth shut, as if she's afraid something louder might escape. Controlled, she asks, "Was it long ago?"

"Not really. We were in the city as well, and Detectors found us. I told Mikey to drive back here, but he..." I bend my neck. "He didn't."

Katia leans forward and covers her face with her hands, but before I have a chance to think of something comforting to say, Brandon enters into the room. He's about to speak when his eyes travel to a defeated Katia on the floor. He bites his full bottom lip, pausing.