Chapter 40

The GPS tells us there are twenty-six minutes left until we reach our destination.

I already recognize the skyline in the distance. The clock tower stands out from the uneven line, rising higher above the other buildings, ticking away as if it's counting down to something. The sky is shadowed with gray, heavy clouds, and they're growing thicker and darker the closer we get to the city. The rain is about to return.

"You think we'll find the flash drive today?" I ask, suddenly nervous. The logical part of me says we have several days left until Regina's deadline, that there's no reason to panic if we don't find it today, but I'm not convinced. Maybe Mikey has more trust that we'll find it.

"I don't know."

Well. So much for that.

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"You know what I mean, Charlie!"

I throw my hands out and sigh. "Yeah, but there's a pretty good chance we'll find it, right?"

"Sure." Mikey shrugs. "But there's also a pretty good chance we won't."

I'm about to raise my voice in protest, but a strong light flares in the side mirror, distracting me. My gaze flickers to the mirror, then I turn around to see what's the deal. If I didn't know better, I'd think someone was in a rush and wanted to pass by us.

But I do know better.

I would recognize those uniforms anywhere.

And as they close in on us, there's no doubt.

How did they find us?

I grab Mikey's arm and squeeze it until he winces, but I'm speechless.

Why did they find us?

"Go faster." I turn to face Mikey. "Now."

"What is it?" he demands, but does as I say.

They can't catch us. Not when we're so close to the flash drive. Not when I don't even understand why they're after us.

"Detectors are following us."

I glance back at their black van again, relieved that there's more distance between us now, but my body continues to be ragged with nerves.

"They're what? Why?" Mikey steals a look in the rearview mirror, and the color drains from his face at the sight that meets him. "Why would they..."

Fear overtakes his features, and I know what I have to do. There's no doubt left in my mind. The Detectors are probably sent to scare us, or to bring us to Regina, but no matter the reason they're after us, I'll make sure they won't catch the both of us.

"Slow down," I say as I click my seatbelt off.

Mikey's knuckles grow white as his grip tightens around the wheel. "Wh—what?"

"Regina wants to scare us, but she doesn't need us both." I put a shaky hand on Mikey's shoulder. "I'll go with them, and you go back to Phantom."

"N-no, no. Charlie, you don't know what Regina wants. It's not safe!" He shakes his head, and a drop of sweat falls onto his thigh. "We can shake them off, I can—we—"

"Mikey, listen to me," I lower my voice and try to breathe out the growing tension in my chest. "I'll be fine. After everything I've done... Just let me handle this. My father is Regina's boss, remember? She can't hurt me."

This time I have to take the fall alone.

"I'm sure she just wants to talk," I try to convince us both.

He inhales through gritted teeth, takes another glance in the rearview mirror, and then at me. His eyes are reddening, and I have to look away. I have to be strong. He can't think that I'm scared or else he'll never let me go.

He slows down the car without another word.

"Mikey," I whisper.

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to say goodbye this time, why it feels so heavy, so... so irrevocable. I shove the uneasy feeling away and clear my throat.

"Pancakes tomorrow, yeah?" I attempt a halfhearted smile.

The car is still going, but I open the door. I have to jump out and hope for the best.

"Please think before you act," Mikey says, his voice surprisingly steady. "Anger will only get you in trouble."

"And you drive back to Phantom," I say with a final nod.

Then I jump out of the car and smash into the asphalt.