Chapter 2

Chapter 2

        I walked up to my desk in homeroom. Everytime I arrived I always thought about how lucky I was that all my close friends were in the same class with me. We made up about a third of the class, and at least twice a week we got in trouble for being off-task or talking. Maddie was already sitting in the spot next to me.

"Ewww. You know I don't like that shirt." She said as she wrinkled her nose in disgust. I could have snubbed her and walked away, or replied with a snarky comeback. I just down in silence, because I know that she just has a fiery personality. I liked that shirt a lot, but it was not the time to argue for my wardrobe.

Maddie currently has and has always had a very fiery personality. Sometimes I can be a lot like her, but I like to keep my emotions bottled up, instead of exploding like a volcano at anyone around me.

Rueben walked in, and promptly sat next to Maddie. Maddie scooted away a little. Rueben didn't even flinch. He was used to it.

Then Kyle and Kylie waltzed up.

"The party-" Kylie started

"-Has-" Kyle, unusually loud, added.

"-ARRIVED!" They chorused.

I shook my head and smiled. Rueben chuckled while Maddie humphed, as this seemed to be her hobby; disapproving of things.

"Grow up guys." She scolded. They shrugged. I smiled wider.

"We are-"

"Growing up-"

"-In fact just yesterday-"

Mizu poked his head in through the door. He looked around and grinned when his eyes fell on us.

"You incredibly lucky people. I have graced you with my presence." He promptly received a sharp whack on the back of the head by Becka as she walked through the doorway behind him.

"Welcome, oh ruler of my life." Reuben mock bowed.

"Oh, you all know I am the bane of your existence."

"You know that means we hate you right?" Kyle mumbled.

"How true" I agreed in a mocking whisper. Rueben heard me and grinned. I winked back.

Becka was practically glaring at me as I winked at Ruben. I figured out a little while ago that she had a crush on Rueben. Rueben was so ignorant some times. He couldn't even figure out that the poor girl liked him.

"Good morning students," Mr. Whitten greeted sleepily. "Today you can just-" He cut himself off by falling asleep in his desk chair and leaning over onto his desk. I snickered and Kylie did the same. Maddie immediately started talking. So did the whole class.

I shot Kyle a tired look. Homeroom would soon become a talking zoo. I groaned and pulled out my English homework. I was getting a little angry at the noise level. Maddie was getting louder and louder and becoming very distracting.

Kylie pulled out her English homework and started working on it. Kyle and Rueben were discussing math work. Becka was staring at Rueben and nodding at every point he made about angles and triangles and even when he breathed she practically sighed. I think Kyle noticed she was staring at Rueben with a glazed expression. He snickered at her and she snapped out of it.

Maddie was talking in Spanish to Mizu who was scratching his head. He had no idea what she was saying. Kylie was clenching her fists and glancing at Mizu and Maddie. I knew for a fact that Mizu liked Kylie, but was a little timid when it came to her.

The bell rang and I collected my stuff and exited with Kylie by my side.  We walked down the hallway like we knew we owned the school, and we practically did.

No one dared challenge the beautiful and bubbly Kylie, and the girl with the weird hair just intimidated everyone. No one wanted to interfere with the charming, kind, Rueben. Kyle subconsciously bumped into a trashcan while reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for the fiftieth time, and Mizu trailed after Kylie like a puppy following its owner.

Maddie shoved us aside to walk toward calculus. I shook my head and Kylie complained, "Will that girl ever learn? Being rude to people won't make them like you." I sighed in frustration.

"I don't think she'll ever learn." Kylie agreed. “But we’ve always been friends, and eventually you’ll see her softer side!” I shook my head. Kylie was always the optimist. We walked in and sat next to Rueben. Mr. Whitten began to call roll.

“Kyle Carrel?”

“Present,” Kyle pushed his glasses up his nose.

"Kylie Carrel"

"Here! Good morning Mr. Whitten!"

"Good morning Kylie. Elizabeth Geld?"

"Here."

"Rueben Haggier?"

"Here."

I swear I heard three girls swoon from the sound of his voice.

"Aneh Jiwanna"

"Not absent!" I yelled sarcastically, and I saw Kylie smile at me.

"Lilliana Baker"

"Here."

"Galahad Swift"

Who? I hadn’t heard that name before, and it was halfway through the semester.

"Present" A deep voice behind me pulsated and every single person in the room turned to him, including me.

He had highlighted sunswept hair that stopped just above his eyebrows for that slight surfer look. He was wearing a dark t-shirt, and his arms were crossed, making his biceps look larger. He sat tall in his chair, so I’m guessing he was around 6 feet tall. He was wearing dark loose jeans; thankfully they were pulled up to his waist, unlike half of the other boys in the room. His eyes were a collage of colors, just like mine. He was sitting right behind me, and his piercing eyes challenged me. I looked down and then faced forward to the front of the room again.

It was uncanny.

The boy was a male version of me!