Chapter 4

Chapter 4

It was a dreadful experience of explaining why I didn't have my English homework to Mrs. Brookes. An experience I never want to have again. My face was already on fire, and so was my stomach from embarrassment. It didn't help that Gale was staring at me when he thought I wasn't looking.

I don't know if it was my hair or my eyes that seemed to draw his attention. Probably both, but his constant stares were starting to freak me out.

As soon as the bell rang, my friends abandoned me with ease and flocked over to Gale. I groaned. Was he was that popular already? He flashed me a grin. He obviously knew I was a little maddened by my friends gushing over him like he was the latest cell phone in a technology store.

I huffed and walked out, leaving my "friends" and Gale behind in a whirlwind of emotions.

I walked briskly across the linoleum floor, my hair billowing out behind me. I walked like I owned the place, and because I hung out with the Chosen, I was known to everyone.

As if being the girl with the freak hair dye job wasn't enough.

A path quickly formed, and I all but sprinted down it. I whipped my hair back with my hand, but it ended in massive failure. I accidentally slapped my neck. I quickly covered it up my pretending like I had a fly on my neck and slapped it again.

I looked around for one of the Chosen, but saw only Rueben. I rushed over to him. He raised an eyebrow at my sudden and fast appearance. We continued walking to Biology together.

We joined up with Kylie and Kyle and entered the room together. The room hushed at our grand entrance. However, the noise level quickly rose when Gale walked in with Mizu trailing behind like a lost puppy. I rolled my eyes. Even the all-powerful Mizu was susceptible to his charismatic ways.

Kylie noticed it too. She didn't flirt with him. She was too busy looking at Mizu who was scratching down answers for his trig class.

Just before the bell rang, Mrs. Owens dashed in.

"Good Morning-" She greeted. Before she could apologize for being late, Gale whistled.

Half of the class swiveled in their seats to send a harsh glare toward Gale. Everyone knew anyone who wolf-whistled or catcalled to Mrs. Owens got detention; with Mr. Whitten, who was infamous for his painstakingly boring detention sessions.

I barely suppressed a shudder at Gales expense. Hell was about to come down.

Mrs. Owens hair barely moved as she looked up to answer whoever had the guts to whistle at her. Her eyes locked on Gale and he winked at her.

"She's hot." He stated simply. He sounded suspiciously like he was defending his actions.

Mrs. Owens was the hot new teacher. It was her first year of teaching, and she was barely six years older than us. Most of us had siblings older than her. Today she was clad in a tight black dress with cute gray flats. My favorite part about her outfit was the little flowers on the end of her toes. She was also wearing a cream colored headband that held her hair back.

"What is your name?" She asked.

"Galahad. But you can call me Gale." He winked again. My nose wrinkled in disgust.

Mrs. Owens looked down. "I'll have you know I'm married. Also, that comment was extremely inappropriate, so I hope you enjoy detention with Mr. Whitten after school today." The class 'ohhhed' and 'ouched.’

“That didn’t take long,” I whispered to Reuben, who chuckled.

She turned to the board and began writing on it. Midway through the lesson, I felt a rush of wind. I looked up from the notes.

I whipped my head around. The class was frozen! I saw a spitball aimed for Kyle frozen mid-way. Rueben and Kyle exchanged glances.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. What jut happened? We could move? How? Kylie stared at me with burning questions in her eyes. As one force, all our heads turned to Gale.

His eyes were closed and his palms were facing upwards. He frowned like he was concentrating on something. He looked like he was sweating.

"Guys." I whispered to my puzzled and mystified friends "I think Gale is doing ... this." We stared at Gale again. He looked up and smiled ominously.

“You’re right."

********

AN

Don't forget to vote! I worked really hard on this, so I would love some feedback.