Chapter 13

Chapter 13

                “You know,” I started off, trying to break the thick tension between Everett and I, as we sat in his car to drive to Katie’s party, “I didn’t think that you would be willing to come with me to this party so easily. I thought that you would throw in a catch, or something.”

                Everett glanced at me from the corner of his eyes, as a small smile faintly appeared over his lips. His hands turned the steering wheel, as we made a swift right turn into the street that Katie lived on. “You know me too well.” He smirked, before pulling his car up to an empty parking space on the side of the street.

                You could hear Katie’s party before you saw it. Even before Everett and I pulled up to Katie’s street, we could hear the faint music that was blaring from the insides of her house. I was surprised that nobody had bothered to call the cops about the noise yet. It was either that Katie had magically bribed her neighbors not to call the police, or that her neighbors were joining her at the party.

                “Have you ever been to one of these parties before?” Everett asked, as we began walking up the sidewalk.

                I stared down at the sparkly flats that I had borrowed from Cassandra earlier today to wear to the party. The black glitter seemed to shine in the moonlight, as I counted each step I took. I finally let out a long sigh, noticing that Everett was still watching me. “No.” I whispered. “I’ve never even been to a party before.”

                “I guess the one where we were chased by the cops didn’t count, right?” Everett asked lightly.

                I looked up at him astonished; shocked that he was actually making a joke out of it. I felt my heart beating faster by the second, as I saw the gleam of amusement sparkling in Everett’s eyes. I let out a shaky laugh, as I dropped my head low, letting my brown locks fall into my face. “I don’t think it counts.” I muttered. “I mean, I was barely in the party, anyways.”

                Everett stared at me, long and hard, as we reached the end of Katie’s driveway. His lips parted slightly, before his fingertips went up to brush away a loose strand of my hair that fell in my face. His fingers brushed against my cheek so gently, that it felt like a feather had tickled my cheek. But, even though he hardly touched me, I could feel my skin burning from where his skin came in contact with mine. “I’m sorry about that night.” He whispered so lowly, I wasn’t sure if I could hear him properly. “I didn’t mean for you to get hurt.”

                I opened my mouth, waiting for me to say something, but nothing could come out. My throat suddenly went dry, leaving me speechless. It was funny, because I had so much that I wanted to say to Everett. I wanted to tell him how much I missed him, how much I wanted us to be best friends again, and how much I still wanted to be with him.

                “We should head inside.” Everett mumbled under his breath, dropping his hand from my cheek. He turned his back towards me, as he began walking towards the front door. I didn’t follow him right away, because I was still paralyzed from what had just happened between the two of us. Once Everett was walking up the front steps though, I eventually came and followed him inside.

                The party inside was one of your stereotypical high school party scenes. The lights were all dimmed, the music was unbearably loud, and there were half naked girls rubbing themselves against any guy they came across. The atmosphere was thick, with a strong scent of beer, smoke and cheap perfume from the many girls that had poured a bottle of fragrance over themselves.