.:.:.FOUR.:.:.

.:.:.FOUR.:.:.

            I  checked  my  phone  ten  times  while  getting  my  newly-cherry  red  hair  dried  before  I  realized  that  my  friend  Tissy  didn’t  have  my  new  number. I  instantly  added  her  name  and  number  into  my   new  Contacts  and  texted  her.

                        Tissy! I  got  a  new  number. Can  I  meet  you  today, at  the  Usual  Place??

            It  didn’t  take  too  long  for  her  reply:

                        im  there  right  now, i  will  w8  for  half  hour  then  im  going  shopping! see  you  s00n.

                                    M!sST!sS

            Our  “usual  spot” was  a  diner  located  next  to  a  small  cluster  of  boutiques. The  diner  did  well  on  Sundays  after  church, but  otherwise  it  was  empty. It’s  vintage  feel  was  what  attracted  Tissy  in  the  first  place, and  what  finally  won  me  over  a  year  later. On  the  way  into  the  diner  my  phone  rang  out  again  with  a  new  text  message.

OH  MY  GOD  HAVE  YOU  SEEN  THE  NEWS  YOU  NEED  TO  FIND  A  PAPER  WHATS  HAPPENED  YOU  GET  YOUR  ASS  IN  HERE  NOW  I  NEED  TO  SEE  THAT  YOUR  OKAY

                        M!sST!sS

It  took  me  about  five  more  seconds  to  locate  Tissy’s  and  my  usual  table, and  was  instantly  bombarded  by  sobs  and  a  hug, probably  the  biggest  display  of  affection  that  my  best  friend  had  ever  showed  anyone. I  was  so  startled  that  I  actually  hugged  her  back  for  a  bit  before  she  got  too  uncomfortable  and  backed  away. To  combat  her  awkwardness  we  both  sat  down  and  she  stared  at  me  with  watery  eyes. I  looked  around, hoping  that  she  wasn’t  making  too  much  of  a  scene.

“Oh  Pheelie,”  she  wailed, and  the  hair  stood  up  on  the  back  of  my  neck. She  had  never  called  me  that  before, and  I  remembered  that   Pheelie  was  the  name  of  the  person  who  used  to  have  this  body. Which  made  me  think  about  where  She  had  gone…

“Oh  Pheelie,” Tiss  repeated. She  blew  her  nose  with  a  diner  napkin  before  looking  at  me  again. “I  got  here, waiting  for  you, and  I  decided  to  read  a  newspaper  while  I  waited, y’know? And  then  in  the  paper  there  was  you.. but  it  couldn’t  have  been  you, because  you  were  on  the  sidewalk  and  you  were  d-d-d..” She  took  a  breath, and  then  continued. “But  it  all  made  sense  for  a  second, because  you  weren’t  at  school  today  and  you  never  get  sick, y’know, and  I  spent  all  day  wondering  where  you  were  and  then  I  heard  a  noise  but  I  couldn’t  see  what  the  noise  was  because  everyone  was  around  the  area  and  I  couldn’t  see  and  I  thought  nothing  of  it, y’know, but  the  newspaper..” At  this  she  started  crying  again. The  few  other  people  that  were  in  the  diner  started  to  turn  and  look. Humiliated, I  patted  Tissy’s  head  and  spoke  softly, trying  to  calm  her  down. “Oh, c’mon  Tiss, don’t  make  a  scene. I'm  here, right? People  are  looking  at  us.. Tissy… I  know  I  look  a  little  different, but-“

“Different?” Tissy  looked  up. “Oh  my.. Pheelie, what… you’re  not… Pheelie?!”

Her  wail  was  inching  its  way  up  into  a  scream. I  flinched  and  put  a  napkin  against  her  mouth. “Tissy, this  was  exactly  what  I  asked  you  to  talk  about. If  you’re  quiet, I’ll  tell  you  everything…”

If  there’s  one  thing  I  could  say  about  Tissy, it  would  be  that  she  was  completely  trusting.

She  sat  there  contemplating  my  story, and  finally  nodded  her  head. “You  certainly  sound  like  yourself,” she  said.

The  relief  I  felt  was  nearly  audible. I  almost  hugged  her  again, but  knowing  she  would  be  uncomfortable  I  restrained  myself. “Tissy, I  need  your  help. My  parents-“

            “Oh  my  god  you’re  right!” she  screamed, causing  everyone  to  turn  in  alarm. “They  must  be  worried  sick, you  were  supposed  to  be  home  hours  ago!”

“Not  that  it’s  anything  they’re  not  already  used  to,” I  mumbled, but  allowed  Tiss  to  pull  me  through  the  door  and  down  the  street  to  find  a  cab.