.:.:.ONE.:.:.

.:.:. ONE .:.:.

                I  walked  towards  the  Dictator’s  office. Surely  I  wouldn’t  like  him, and  surely  he  wouldn’t  like  me. I  wasn’t  sure  he, or  any  of  the  other  lackeys  that  people  call  “teachers”, would. What  they  would  see  of  my  future, I'm  sure, are  dim  prospects. To  them, I’ll  look  like  I screwed  up  big  time. My  looks  would  not  land  me  a  good  job. Anywhere. I  mean  anywhere. But  what  do  they  know? I  just  moved  here. I'm  an  artist, but  how  would  they  guess? I  could  be  an  award-winning  actress, or  the  best  goddamned  singer  anyone  would  have  ever  known. And  it  was  true, I  could  sing. I  guess. So  I’ve  been  told. I'm  not  a good  judge  of  my  own  character. Not  inside, anyways. I  know  my  outsides  well.

            I  snuck  a  glimpse  of  myself  in  a  window  as  I  walked  past. I  couldn’t  see  much  but  a  fuzzy  red  glob  where  my  hair  would  be. Trailing  down  to  my  butt, it  was  my  pride  and  joy. I  could  also  see  faint  gobs  of  color  where  all  my  tattoos  were. I  could  cover  most  of  them  easily, not  that  I  wanted  to. It  was  summer, my  favorite  time  of  year, and  I  had  on  a  white  V-neck  tee that  was  partway  rolled  up  to  expose  some  shoulder, and  shorts. Not  too short; I'm  odd  enough  to  begin  with  without  being  a  whore. My  mother’s  insistence  on  teaching  me  how  to  sew  worked  for  me  when  it  came  to  those  shorts. I  sewed  intricate, lacy  swirls  and  red  roses  over  the  soft  denim, making  them  by  far  my  favorite  pair  of  shorts  I  had  ever  owned.  From  there  I  was  all  legs, until  they  hit  the  top  of  my  Combat  boots, which  went  up  to  an  inch  above  my  ankles. Today, all  but  the  tattoos  on  my  feet  were  exposed. I  can’t  handle  flip-flops, so  the  Sparrows  won’t  be  seen  by  anyone  but  my  family  and  I. I  sported  Buddha, lotus  flowers, roses, dragons, koi, and many  other  Japanese- style  ink  down  my  arms  and  calves, with  a  small tattoo  of  a  flock  of  birds  above  my  collarbone. Pretty  snazzy  for  a  Senior, huh?

            The  Dictator’s  office  was  across  the  street. This  damn  campus  was  so  big  it  had  to  be  expanded  to  two  whole  blocks. Two  blocks  wasted  by  a  damn  school. But  I  already  got  numbers  from  a  few  boys  who  might  be  my  taste. They  may  think  I'm  easy, but  just  let  them  think  that. Just  for  a  little  while. I  clicked  my  nails  against  my  iPod  along  to  the  beats  that  thrummed  from  the  small  device. This  Dictator  shit  better  not  take  long. I  just  want  my  list  of  classes  and  that’s  it. People  were  ogling. Good. I  enjoy  getting  out  there. Bubblegums  and  stoners  and  little  freshman  geeks  with  giant  backpacks  and  giant  doe  eyes  were  all  staring. The  beats  drowned  everything  out. I  strolled  across  the  crossway  to  the  Dictator’s  office  like  I  had  all  the  time  in  the  world.  This  was  a  good  day. A  good  day  to  be  alive.

            Until  it  wasn’t.

            It’s  funny  how  I  loved  attention. But  somehow  it  wasn’t  as  funny  when  they  all  got  to  watch  me  die.