Chapter 11: Percy

Percy kept his gaze on the fountain, trying to grasp every leftover piece of the image depicting her face. He had promised he would never lose her again, and he had broken that promise. He had let his wife be taken, and she was hurt, sobbing, and scared. As confident as Percy was about Annabeth's clever wit and skills in combat, this was more personal. Arachne had broken her down to tears once before, and Percy didn't need it to happen again. He picked up his sword and headed toward the Big House.

Chiron and Thalia stood over a card table, and Percy and Jason and Leo joined them. "Thalia and I tracked that Iris Message from here in the Big House," Chiron began, shaking, "and concluded the IM came from somewhere in New York, New York." He pointed to a location on the map that came to a point. Percy staggered back.

"Oh, my..." his voice faltered and cracked. " She's in the Empire State Building." Jason's eyes widened and he put a hand on Percy's shoulder. "She's under Olympus." Chiron nodded grimly.

"The battleground," he noted. Arachne and any additional captors will have a field day, sending her onto Olympus to do acts of betrayal and rebellion against her will." Percy closed his eyes and looked down.

"I'm going alone," he said.

Jason, Chiron, Thalia and Leo shook their heads violently.

"You don't go alone on a quest like this." Thalia ordered. Chiron nodded in agreement with Percy. Thalia's jaw dropped as she glared in disbelief at the centaur. "Are you insane? It's going to be a firefight. He needs fire, not just water." Percy stepped back, turned, and headed for the door.

"Okay, fine. I can live with that. Valdez, suit up and come with me. Grab anything helpful that'll fit in a backpack. Prepare to be a tourist."