18 | foe

"Good morning baby, how did you sleep?"

Kayla rubbed her tired eyes, a loud - funky ass yawn escaping her lips as she groaned, "Good morning...and I slept as good as it's going to get on an air mattress."

I shook my head with a titter, watching her struggle to climb out of the low bed and stretch - my eyes drifting to her backside the moment she bent over to touch her toes before reaching for the ceiling.

Catching my gaze, she blurted out, "Why are you dressed so early?"

"I have an appointment to get my hair cut before I go back to school tomorrow." I told her, immediately spotting the change in her expression, her whole attitude really, as she replied dryly, "Oh...right."

I frowned, but couldn't find the words that would rectify the situation. What could I really say? I had to go back to school, finish out the year, and be back home to my baby within the short stretch of a few months that I was hoping wouldn't feel like years.

I was also hoping she could hold it down for the time being, and that me being gone wouldn't add onto any stress she was already combating with.

Following her to the bathroom, I made sure to tell her, "You know if I could stay here and smell that stank breath every morning, I would. Don't make this hard for me Kay."

"I'm not making it hard, I just don't see why you need a haircut to go back to school." she mumbled, no curl in her mouth which told me she was serious, causing me to respond, "You tryna have me looking bummy when I get back? No way. Do you know who I am on campus?"

"I actually don't. I live here and you live there, so I would have no idea who you are when you're there." Kayla squinted her eyes, attempting to send a message without actually saying it - but I was well versed in Kayla lingo. She was pushing me away, trying her best to sabotage our happiness so she could feel better about it when it burned down in flames.

"I'm your man either way, here or there. And I'll act so accordingly, even if that means catching a flight down here to handle that mouth." I gave her a pique of my brow, sending a little message of my own.

I could see her fighting the smirk on her face, instead rolling her eyes as she stood from the toilet and began to wash her hands, "Whatever, Micah."

"Don't whatever me, Kayla." I told her, this time hovering over her as I stared at her small frame in the mirror, "If we're going to make this work I need for you to not shut me out. Tell me what's wrong so I can fix it. Please."

Seeing the desperation in my eyes, she finally broke, allowing her flat expression to morph into a pout as she turned around to dive face first into my chest, "I'm sorry, I'm just going to miss you...really really miss you. I feel like I can't even enjoy our apartment if you're not here contributing to the decisions that will make it our home....like what kind of furniture do I get, should we get Charmin or store brand tissue since it's cheaper but just as effective, do I get dawn dish detergent or the bougie kind that says all natural -"