15 | complexity

Christmas Eve was turning out to be

Christmas Eve was turning out to be...quite the day. In addition to waking up and just not feeling the holiday spirit, the rest of the day's inconveniences continued to compete for my attention - first, the fact that Mr. Maloney had surprised me with an  invoice saying that he had misquoted me for the work that needed to actually be done.

At first, I wanted to call bullshit, in fact, I still thought it was bullshit - which resulted in us not coming to an agreement and the work being halted. Whether I believed he was being truthful or not, I didn't have the difference in which he was seeking. If that wasn't the rotten cherry on top of my melting sundae, finding an apartment was more difficult than I initially thought it would be. 

Turns out living in my mother's home rent free had a few disadvantages - like the fact that I didn't have any type of credit to my name besides a three hundred limit Discover card. Also, I didn't exactly have a traditional job - so I failed to show any proof that I was a responsible adult that could keep up with real bills and such.

I was drowning in disappointment, and while I currently had a place to stay, I was sure that once Jalisa and Micah were going back to their homes after the holiday's - I would be expected to, too. 

Speaking of Micah - he just happened to be the third thing that had tallied the day up to a toal of 0-Kayla 3-Universe. Or should I say his ex-girlfriend, who had not only surprised the hell out of me with her visit, but as well as the entire household who believed the two were splitsville.

It seemed as though she hadn't gotten that message - her face cradled into her palms as she sobbed uncontrollably. 

"I can't believe he just left...he hates me." She sniffled, trying her best to make work of the kleenex that was now balled up and of no assistance when it came to her water works. I wanted to feel bad for her, I really did...but I couldn't help but to feel my own bit of relief when I heard that he wasn't exactly overjoyed by her visit.

Yeah, it was a nice ego stroke, but I still found myself worried about his whereabouts as forty five minutes had already passed and there was no sight of him. 

"Demani, he doesn't hate you. Micah just needs time to figure this all out." Marley said, causing the knot in my stomach to squeeze tighter.

Figure this all out.If it weren't for me, he wouldn't have anything to figure out. 

"He yelled at me...he's never yelled at me before. I don't know what I was thinking showing up." she shook her head, her perfect curls framing her face and making her look even more stunning if that was possible.

I could admit, I could see how Micah was attracted to her - she was a prissy girl, everything in place, polished and almost too pretty to touch. I could tell she was spoiled and close to her family, since in between her sniffles she expressed how upset her parents would be to know the situation she had gotten herself into. She even went as far as to reminisce about how Micah had met them just a month before for thanksgiving weekend, and how much of a great time they had.