[ 012 ] the grey lady

CHAPTER TWELVEthe grey lady

CHAPTER TWELVE
the grey lady

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

FANNY WAS TOUCHED with a special gift, it turns out, and Effie finds it downright unfair.

     It all started because she kept barking on about the pristine lawn when the photographer was around. But for some mysterious reason, Fanny is the only phantom visible in the photos, which have been going viral on the internet (Effie still struggles to understand what that all means; she equates it to a level of superstardom that she deems Fanny highly unworthy of). As it turns out, fame is not always fortune for the Coopers... when is anything fortune for the Coopers?

Mike and Alison sit in the library, examining photos where Fanny is present, the ghosts huddled around them. He has unearthed some old ones of the estate from albums, and even in the faded sepia she is still there.

"She's everywhere... look, and there!" he says urgently, looking up at his wife.

Alison and the rest of the ghosts promptly notice the strange detail about Mike at the same time.

"Why is your husband wearing a monocle?" Effie asks bluntly.

Translating, Alison raises an eyebrow at Mike. "Where did you get that?"

"Over there."

No more clarity on that issue, then. Alison looks over his shoulder at Fanny. "Did you know this happens?"

"If indeed that is me," Fanny shrugs. "She looks at least twenty years older..."

Julian opens his mouth, a snide remark sure to follow, but Pat quickly shuts it down. Meanwhile, Thomas seems vexed by the whole thing just as much as Effie is. "How come SHE can be seen?" the poet asks incredulously.

"Perhaps it's only if you're grumpy," Kitty giggles.

"Or ugly," Robin adds gruffly.

     "It's a waste of an ability, honestly..." Effie sighs pitifully. "At least I'm more photogenic."

Fanny glares at them all with abhorrent horror, her mouth opening and closing like a goldfish. Alison pays no attention to it. "Well, she's all over Facebook now—"

"And the Instant Gram, too, I should expect," says Effie knowledgeably.

"Do you– do you mean Instagram?"