[ 002 ] something's haunting you

CHAPTER TWOsomething's haunting you

CHAPTER TWO
something's haunting you

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

THE NEXT MORNING, the Captain gathers all the ghosts in the archaic living room to formulate their haunting plan. Quite honestly, whilst Effie can understand the need to avoid dozens of bodies everywhere suffocating them, she sees no problem with allowing a bit more life into this place. It's something else to keep her occupied for however long eternity is.

     "Now then," says the Captain, swagger stick held firmly in his hands. "Let's have a look at some of the skills at our disposal, shall we? Now, we all know Robin can do that thing with the lights. Will you please, Robin?"

     The caveman rolls his shoulders to warm himself up, rubbing his hands together before he squats in front of a nearby lampshade. Peculiarly, some of the ghosts were blessed with unusual powers when they died — Robin being one of them. He strains and grunts in deep concentration as he hovers his hands on either side of the lamp shade. The light bulb flickers between his hands until he pulls them away, miraculously returning it to its normal light. Amongst the ghosts are appreciative murmurs of praise.

Mary shyly raises one of her singed hands in the air and the Captain points towards her. "Yes, Mary?" he asks.

"When I passes through the livings, they smells burnings," Mary warbles in her thick West Country accent, a sincere look on her face.

"Excellent. None of those are plural, but..."

"Tis a most noxious stink!" she smiles proudly, small dimples visible in her soot-covered cheeks.

Like toast, Effie thinks with a grin. Most unsettling for anyone who were to pass through her.

Thomas, who is reclined comfortably with one leg crossed over the other on the sofa, sits up straight with a glint in his eye. "When I was alive —"

"Oh, here he goes..." the Captain sighs.

"— it was rumoured that a little plague girl could often be heard singing in the pantry..." he says, leaning forward with a small smile.

Effie has certainly never heard of this. Strangely enough, there are probably a few ghosts around the grounds of Button House that she has never met before, mainly because they isolate themselves (voluntarily or not) in one spot. She roams predominantly the main building itself. One example is the plethora of plague victims — an entire village's worth — who are crammed together downstairs in the basement. So therefore it is no surprise she has never met this plague girl.