Growth of the Child

Aspen didn't have to wait long for the vessel at the entrance of the tent, watching as the little being walked towards him.

     "The child is filled with scarlet fire," Aspen greeted the vessel.  "Come...speak with the Master again...."  He turned and entered the tent, hearing the soft sounds of the vessels footsteps even over Brumm's playing.  "You are more than you appear to have defeated our kin...there's more beneath the surface to you.  Even though you were meant to be a container, you have chosen to stop and aid someone like you in their own...similar goal."  

     The stage was still dark and empty, the crowd waiting for the scarlet fire to light their Master's dance with the vessel.  Grimm appeared in the same way he did before, not looking at the pair.  Aspen stepped to the side so as not to impede his master's actions.

     "I can feel it," Grimm said after a short pause.  "The warmth of the flame you've gathered together."  He turned to look at the vessel over his shoulder.  "A masterful opening act.  The air hums with excitement.  Dear child, you've done so well.  Let your fire burn even brighter!"  He snapped his fingers, scarlet fire surrounding the child for a second before fading away.  The child had changed; its body was longer, it had two sets of wings rather than one...but it was still small.  

     "They grow up so fast," Aspen grinned, earning a smile from his master.

     "Beautiful, yes. The child has grown, from idle youth to deadly companion," Grimm continued.  "About these lands, its aid will no doubt be welcome.  Just don't neglect our dance, for it too continues!  Keep hunting that scattered scarlet essence.  When the child is filled with flame once more, return to the stage and the performance will begin."  Grimm again disappeared in scarlet smoke, leaving the vessel to wander out of the tent on its own.

     "Such an intriguing little creature."  Aspen recognized that croon even if he sometimes wished he could never hear it again.  "Almost good enough to eat...."

     "I think not, Divine," Aspen told the strange mantis-grub.  "I hear the Void has little taste."

     "For a magician, you're no fun," Divine chided him.  "But he has shown me something rather...tasty...."  Aspen didn't even want to ask what she meant, imperatively sure the answer wasn't something that he wanted to know.  "Are you not going to collect the fire?"

     "Not until the Master has performed with the vessel," Aspen told her.  "Only then will I go to where I am bade to collect the fire...."  He turned to look at her, always wondering why she chose a half-mask.  "Besides...there are plans in place which need to be set in motion correctly...don't want anything happening, would we?"