Chapter 3

Thursday came way to fast. Before I knew it, it was the night Dakota was coming.  

We made dinner. Just as I was taking a dish out of the oven the doorbell rang. My parents went to answer it as I sat the dish down and took the oven mitts of. I herd my parents open the door. When I turned the corner, I saw her right outside the door, standing in the rain. My parents rushes her into the house. She was alone. The rain made her hair wet. She had a black eye and scars all over her face and arms.  

" Welcome Dakota! I'm Melissa and this is my husband Tommy and our son Hunter." my mom said. When she turned and looked at me, I saw her beautiful brown eyes and wavy hair. Now that she was facing me, her black eye looked even worse. 

"We are just getting ready for dinner. Hunter, why don't you take Dakota up stairs and show her her room and then we can all sit down and eat!" my mom said trying to sound extremely happy... For all I know, she probably was extremely happy. 

I took Dakota's one orange bag from her hands and carried it up the stairs for her. 

" Thank you" she whispered. she sounded so shy and scared. 

" No problem. This is your room. Make yourself right at home. My room is right across the hall and next to my room is the bath room. If you ever need something in the middle of the night or whenever, you can just get me." I told her. I tried to sound really nice. I was really big compared to her and I didn't want to scare her. 

" Okay, thank you." she said 

"Do you want to come down and eat?" I said. I didn't know if she wanted to unpack or get ready or something. 

" Sure" she said 

" Okay" I said and led her downstairs. When we got to the kitchen, my mom was finishing setting the table and then we all sat down. Like every family dinner, we took eachother's hands to say grace. I offered my hand to Dakota but she didn't know what we were doing. 

" We're saying grace" I said. She looked like she kind of understood but not really. She took my hand and my dad said grace. Then we started eating.  

There wasn't much conversation. It was awkward. Dakota didn't say a word. I looked down at her plate and she hardly touched her food. I looked down at my plate and I had eaten everything. I must have looked like a pig! 

"May I be excused?" She asked extremely quietly. 

"Sure" my mom said. 

Dakota got up from the table and went to the sink. She cleaned her dish, put it on the counter and went upstairs. 

When the rest of us were done, I cleaned all the dishes while my parents went to the couch and watched together. When I was done cleaning the kitchen and putting the left overs away I said good night to my parents and went upstairs. I put on sweat pants and a T-Shirt on and walked out to the hall. I went and knocked on Dakota's bedroom door. 

" Come in" she said.  

I opened the door. She was sitting on the ground putting her clothes from her bag to the dresser. She had some music playing quietly in the background. I sat down next to the dresser with my back against the wall. 

"How do you like it here so far?" I asked through the almost silence. 

"It's fine." she said. 

"Did you like dinner?" I asked. 

"Yes, thank you." she said. 

"Sure, so um your first day of school is tomorrow... We have a old backpack of mine filled with some stuff you can take for tomorrow but we will go shopping and get you knew things this weekend..." I told her. 

"Okay, thanks" she said.  

"Sure.... We will go to the same school so I'll try to help you out as best I can, okay?"  

"Okay, thanks" she said again, never looking up from her work. 

"If you ever need anything even in the middle of the night, ever, just come get me, I'm right across the hall. I'll leave my door open tonight okay?" 

"Okay." 

"Night" 

"night, O! When do you wake up in the morning?" she asked 

" I get up at 7, the bus gets here at 7:30" I told her. 

"okay thanks, night" she said 

"night..."