Life or Death

Credit for this story goes to JacksonBlack66

It was a perfect, warm Friday night for a stadium to be jam-packed with people from all around the world, and as the ticket lines died down, the audience a mere mumble, the lights dimmed and the room became silent immediately. Their eagerness became louder than the previous mumbling. Then suddenly, in the middle of the stadium, a trailer started to play.

"Since the creation of time mankind has always strived to be the best of the best." The holographic screen showed something resembling the 'big bang.' It then continued to fly through history showing the greatest accomplishments of the time.

"And that strive hasn't ceased; It only empowers us to keep moving into the future." The screen then showed scientists and doctors, tirelessly working in a lab.

"And as the future comes to the present we must adapt and be prepared for what is to come, and not only does our newest product help with that, it can also help you with common household chores." The screen showed robots working hand and hand with humans, at homes, at a park, and grocery stores. The gratified human smiles almost seemed fake.

"These products, which we revealed in the last convention, will be up to sell after tonight." The stadium filled with applause.

"With many other products we have to announce and sell, there is one we are quite fond of. This new project will throw us into the future while in the present."

The screen slowly dissolved to show a man, who had a metal arm, in the middle, announcing their new product. "What we need for the future is something just as smart as we are, something that predicts our actions and doings, something to protect all humanity. We announce to you and to everyone watching a new AI technology." He paused as the crowd grew eager and applauded him. "Our new AI technology will be known as...AVIS!"

The crowd went wild as a holographic 3D figure filled the room. The figure was odd looking but definitely lively. The man waited till the room began to settle before speaking again. "AVIS will be better than any piece of technology we have ever used. As we finish the final touches on AVIS we promise to make AVIS the most lively AI you have ever encountered. AVIS, say 'Hi' to everyone."

"Oh okay, hello! I'm AVIS. My creator is working tirelessly to make me the best assistant a human could ever ask for!"

"Thanks, AVIS."

"The pleasure is all mine." AVIS's holographic appearance disappeared and the announcer moved on to other pieces of tech that were being announced. As the night continued, and hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent, the stadium finally became empty near the time of sunrise.

The next night we find a scientist working meticulously in her lab, with AVISs' figure floating above her. Her hair was pure white but she was fairly young. You could see a plugin in the back of her head and metal, that people only assumed, ran down her spine. The lab was quieter than a mouse, well besides her typing and the almost constant movement of her chair. It was fascinating that she was able to maneuver between the plants that littered her lab.

"AVIS? Can you use self thinking for me?"

"I assume so. What would you like me to think about?"

"Let's try something a bit complex..." She looked at one of many plants she had and responded, "What are your thoughts on plants?"

"Intriguing really. Plants grow and die over and over again, and it's beyond my understanding why humans have an attachment to them; they are dirty and needy and essentially provide nothing for a human being."

She thought over its answer and wrote down some notes in a small glass panel.

"Thank you, AVIS. Now tell me your thoughts on pets?"