1

I think it all started when we went in that school trip. I was about 14 and mostly unhappy, as all teenagers were. At that time, we all thought the world was going to end with any problem that crossed our path.

So, I was probably contemplating my terrible life looking out of the window, zoning out the noise on the bus, as my eyes followed the passing trees, as best as they could.

I remember it was a cloudy day, and part of it was what made me sad, or annoyed, I should say; that we had to go on a school trip when it was about to rain.

The scenery my eyes were following only increased my melancholy – the large number of tall and skinny trees engulfed in the foggy day – The perfect scenario for a scary movie, I thought.

For as long as I've known myself, I've been passionate about horror. When I was younger, as I looked at my closet and felt like something was there, instead of hiding under the covers, I stood up and opened it. My disappointment every time I did so, was what led me to ignore it as I grew older. I don't know what I was expecting or looking for, but I just wanted my life to have some meaning, even if it was scary.

I also remember how I freaked out my parents, so much, that they sent me to therapy. Apparently, after I got over my disappointing empty closet, I would go downstairs every night, around midnight, and stare out the window to our yard. I must have done it a tone of times before they found me. My mum said she called for me, but I didn't answer until she would touch me. She asked me what I was doing, and I just said I was looking out for ghosts. I have no memory of this. It felt like a dream I've forgotten.

As I got older, I just satiated my desire for fear watching horror movies. So, I guess now... I'm normal.

When the bus stopped, it still hadn't rained. The girl sitting next to me jumped up, as did the rest of the class. Except me, who had to drag myself out of the bus. I was sure that as soon as I stepped out of it, it would start to rain. But it didn't. And so, we had to walk to the eerie beach – just a few feet off the road – to look at rocks. I hated it; I didn't see the point on making that trip, to look at rocks we could see on the internet. However, everyone else was happy to do so. All of them with smiles on their faces, jumping around, pretending to listen to the teacher as she explained away. They were probably just content with being outside, out of class. If it were any other day, I would probably feel the same. But I just knew, we were going to get home soaked in rain.

My annoyance grew larger, especially because the rain didn't plan on agreeing with me. Not one drop fell, and at some point – the rock facts were so irritating – that I caught myself looking up at the grey sky, begging for it to cry. Since the clouds didn't seem to respond and as the teacher started to point out what fossils were on the rocks, my mind went back to the foggy forest, just behind us.

Without even realizing, my body took me off the beach, across the road and stopped just as the trees started. There was I, looking out at the deep, dense forest, hoping fate would take my life.

I knew it would be a while before they'd notice I was gone. I didn't have any friends and I was pretty much invisible to the teachers. I also knew I would most likely be disappointed inside the forest. In that weather, no one would come out of their cosy homes, only my crazy teacher.

I decided to take a look, nevertheless. Just a quick look, I thought. Maybe I would return without anyone realizing I was gone in the first place.

So, I took a step, and then another, and another... I decided to go straight so I wouldn't get lost. And I did so, until I turned around and saw only forest. And then... I decided to go a little deeper.

If I had time, I would walk all over it, with the faint hope that I would find something. Something different, something worthwhile. Something out of this world. But I knew I wouldn't find anything, just like I didn't find anything when I was a little kid, all those times... But still, I kept going. It was like my soul was pushing me on, but my brain knew there was nothing to look for. It had been a while since I felt that way. The hunger for the unknown, for fear to take over my body, until every single hair on it stood up.

With every step, I thought, I should probably get back. But I only kept going. Now. I should turn back now. But my curiosity took the best of me. Just a little more. Just a little. Please. With all my might I wished for meaning. For something where my desire could feast upon.

And it did. Quite literally.

My stroll came to a halt as I saw him hovering over the lifeless creature. His eyes shot up targeting me. I stared at his curly hair covering his face and I could tell that he couldn't have been much older than me.

He carefully raised himself up, as if I was an animal he was trying not to frighten. When he did so, I saw we were about the same height as well. He stood there; unmoving.

I was then able to see the white of his eyes replaced by darkness. I looked at the blood dripping from his chin, as I also stood there, contemplating death.

Author's note: 

I hope you enjoyed this first chapter! What are your thoughts for this story? Was I able to make it mysterious? Are you eager to know more?

Please vote and comment, it really helps me out! :)