A Touch to Offer

1/2 <3

K. xx

***

The next morning she woke up at five as usual, but decided against going for a run, mostly because she knew she'd overdo it if she did, punishing herself for the pizza from the night before. She went through her usual negotiations in her mind: whether to have breakfast, to further ensure she wasn't going to starve herself to compensate - or whether it would be the beginning of a binge. At the end, she decided to play it by ear. She made coffee and went back to her room. She had the books from the fair, and she decided to start on the romance novel. Fiona Holyoake had been right, it was endlessly entertaining, and Viola caught herself laughing out loud in a few places. She decided Olivia Dane was worth exploring, googled the author, and ended up ordering five more books on Amazon. She then went back to the fake raja and his unfortunate tour guide and their sexy escapades. It felt odd to realise she was a romance fiction reader - but then she reminded herself that even the manly man Will Holyoake approved of the novels. And to think of it, she thought, going to the kitchen to make herself a cup of tea, why was it even considered a 'guilty pleasure' and 'daft chicklit?' Men read those fantasy novels with macho protagonists with large swords and three brain cells each. At least, Dane had a sense of humour and was indeed 'educational.' Viola didn't find anything new in it - she'd had two husbands, after all, one of which was fond of experiments in bed - but she could see how what was shown in Dane's novels could serve as an example of excellent - healthy and consensual - intimacy between two somewhat realistic people.

At some point she lowered the book, distracted by the memories of the previous night. Rhys had asked her to stay the night in the guest bedroom, and she'd refused, pointing out that she lived seven minute drive away. He then had asked her again, adding 'We can have breakfast together' as an argument. When she'd said she didn't have breakfast, he'd said he'd love to have her 'ace coffee' then. None of his joking remarks had felt pushy, and they both had known he'd been flirting. She'd laughed and left. Perhaps, reading romance was putting her in the mood, but thinking about his raised eyebrow and that little smirk of his the night before made her rather giddy now.

Around lunchtime Fenton knocked at her door. She stepped out and found him in the kitchen.

"Would you like some lunch?" he grumbled.

"Good day to you too, Alan," she said with a smile.

He threw her a side glare.

"The Holyoakes weren't in the church this morning," he said, pouring water in a kettle. "Not a single one. Mable Holyoake never misses a Sunday service."

Viola hummed noncommittally. Informing Fenton of what had happened the night before would be a breach of confidentiality.

"I know about Semra Holyoake," he said in an acidic tone. "And you know what? You just watch. They will all disappear for a week. Next weekend is the Dance, so they will resurface, as if nothing happened, but for now, you won't see a single one of them."

Viola gave him her most neutral 'That's an interesting prediction, Alan' and went back to her room. She had no appetite for lunch.

***

Fenton was right. Mid-day Sunday, Mable texted Viola that she wasn't feeling well and was cancelling her tea party later that day. On Monday John messaged Viola saying he couldn't attend their dance practice on Tuesday and Wednesday. Even Fiona Holyoake didn't reach out as she'd promised to arrange their 'tea and chat' she'd asked for. For the next three days Viola heard nothing from Sam - or, of course, Rhys. Everyone in Fleckney Woulds and in the village was talking about Semra being rushed to the hospital Saturday night. The Holyoakes, just as Fenton had predicted, 'had closed their ranks.'