Older Brother

2/2 <3 K. xx :)

***

Molly slowly turned into the Chickadee Flight's driveway, and made a surprised noise.

"Oh, someone's here," Molly said.

Viola lifted her eyes from her mobile. She knew exactly who the man shovelling the snow was the moment she saw the wide confident movements of his body.

"Oh, I could've just asked one of the Krasinky boys to do it," Nana grumbled. "He always has to do everything himself."

It's because Rhys Holyoake thinks he's the only one who knows how to do things right, Viola thought. She climbed out of the car and opened the door for Mable.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Mrs. Holyoake," Molly said, waved her hand to the women, and slowly drove away.

"Rhys, I thought you were going to have some rest," Nana said with affection hiding under her usual sardonic tone. "You do know what rest is, don't you?"

He straightened up and gave Nana his usual frowned look.

"I was on my way to one of the cottages, and thought I'd stop by," he answered, and glanced at Viola. "How was your shopping trip?"

Viola discreetly checked her watch. Hadn't he said he was going for a nap, and something about having been awake for twenty hours? He couldn't have slept for more than an hour. None of your concern, Viola. To think of it, it was none of her concern in general - ex-husband or not. People could do whatever they wanted to their bodies, as long as it didn't interfere with her practice.

"Excellent," Nana answered, slowly making her way by him. "We visited all the old favourites of Viola's, and she bought herself a lovely tea set in that new gift shop they'd opened on Lilac Lane."

Viola followed, carefully watching the old woman's movement. She knew better than to offer Mable a hand, but she made a mental note to suggest Dr. Fenton to prescribe Nana a taller cane.

And then Nana's foot slipped on a small patch of ice, and Viola lunged ahead. While still moving she could see Mable straighten up, regaining balance - and Viola's body crashed into Rhys'. His hand supported her under her elbow, while his left one was stretched towards Nana, who clearly didn't need help from either of them. The man felt like a rock. A rock bench in a hot hammam, to be precise. Viola pressed her hands into his chest and pushed. He let her go, muttering an apology.

Nana looked over her shoulder.

"What are you two doing there?"

"Snogging," Rhys answered in a grumpy tone, and Viola whipped her head and stared at him.

What?!

Nana chuckled and turned to the door again.

"Sam's coming with the little'uns," she said and started walking up the stairs of the porch. "Don't clean all the snow. They'll want to make a snowman."

"Maybe he should clean the snow then," Rhys said and stuck the shovel into the nearest snow pile.

Viola decided that he could surely decide that for himself - just as he did with everything in his life - and followed Nana inside.

***

The kettle had just boiled, when the doorbell rang. Viola opened the door, and smiled at Sam. She then looked down at his two children. Pat was a tall lanky boy, who looked just as all Holyoake men did at the age of ten. He had wide shoulders and seemed to consist of long legs. He had Semra's dark curls and his father's blue eyes. Lily looked just like her mother.