a talk with mirio

🦋tamaki's POV🦋

one afternoon, mirio and i planned to meet up at the ice cream shop where we used to go to when we were in middle school. togata arrived a few minutes after i ordered my dessert, barging into the store as if he had run a mile.

"sorry i kept you waiting, tamaki," he panted, trying to catch his breath, "i-i came as fast as i could!"

as togata took a seat in front of me, i shook my head.

"y-you don't have to apologize, mirio. i-i'm just glad you were able to be here on such a short notice."

"of course!" he grinned proudly, "anything for my best buddy!"

after mirio ordered his own ice cream, we began to talk some more.

"so what's up? it's been a while since we've been here," he stated, "what's this super important thing you have to tell me that can't wait any longer?"

i looked down at my cup as i stirred my strawberry ice cream, thinking of her.

"i-it's about (y/n)..."

"ah. i should've known," he began, "you two have become really close friends, huh? i like (y/n). she's really sweet, pretty, kind and bright. kinda like... a sunflower."

after mirio was brought his dessert, he began to eat the sorbet with delight. and when i heard those words come out of his mouth, my confidence dropped completely.

"w-what?"

"yeah! you know, i've been trying to make a move on (y/n) for a while," he added, "she's a tough cookie to crack, though. she's not like any other girl i've ever met. i guess she likes you more, tamaki. i wonder..."

after togata caught me staring at him in the corner of his eye, his happy-go-lucky expression changed, and he became serious.

"wait- do you like (y/n), tamaki? is that what you called me in here to tell me?"

i panicked. i didn't know what to answer, so i just ended up mumbling a bunch of words at the same time.

"w-what?! n-no! i mean! i-i..."

mirio stared at me, squinting his eyes as if he were examining me. but he ended up shrugging, smirking as he placed the spoon with sorbet in his mouth.

"well in that case," he declared, "since you don't like (y/n), then i guess i'm gonna make my move!"

i stared down at the table as i heard mirio say all of that so lightly. togata had always been popular with the girls; even in middle school despite his goofiness, and it was so easy for him to talk to the person he liked without embarrassing himself like me. i never had a crush of my own because i knew i never stood a chance with anyone with mirio being my friend. but with (y/n), it was different. i actually believed, deep in my heart, that she and i could be together if i were confident enough; brave enough to tell her how i really felt about her.

but the thought of losing (y/n) to mirio was haunting. i knew if it came down to my awkwardness versus mirio's charm, then he'd win for sure. i didn't want to lose (y/n) because of my incompetence and my inability to overcome my anxiety. i didn't want it to control me, and i knew i wouldn't forgive myself if i were to let (y/n) go because of my failed attempt to be more than my nervous self. i wasn't going to lose her to mirio without a fight.

i gripped my fists tightly as i tried my hardest not to overreact. now, mirio's presence alone made me inexplicably resentful toward him, and when i saw togata so carefree and confident in his success, i glared at him with a stern look, angry.