the ferris wheel

🦋tamaki's POV🦋

i stood by, idling in the middle of the entrance of a crowded amusement park by myself. i could feel my body shaking uncontrollably as groups would often glance at me as they passed by, probably because they recognized me out of my hero costume. there were so many people around i just wanted to disappear, and my anxiety would drown me a bit more every time a family would come up to me asking me for pictures. i had hoped that no one would realize suneater was out of work so i wouldn't have to deal with any social interaction. whenever i'd lock eyes with someone, i'd simply turn and walk the other way, praying they'd get the message. i wasn't up for any distractions that day.

i hadn't seen (y/n) since that night with the crazed fans, and i felt like i could've used that time to chat with her. when i told mirio i was becoming more acquainted with (y/n), he proposed to invite all of us to this new park near our part of the city. and even though i told togata he shouldn't bother (y/n) since she probably had a lot of work, the thought of hanging out with her was tempting. even if the place was known to be crowded during the weekends, i wanted to take any chances to see (y/n) again. though i still couldn't believe she even said yes to our outing considering we were only acquaintances. but i guess we technically weren't since we were known heroes by many, and both mirio and nejire said they got along well with (y/n) during our interview.

a few minutes pass before i started to get nervous again. negire had said that i should go wait for (y/n) while mirio and her looked around for a ride. hado told me to idle near the entrance while she and togata stood by elsewhere. i don't know what negire was planning in her head when he told me that (because she giggled afterwards as if she planned it), but what's even crazier is that i agreed to it. hado knew how much i hated being left alone in such packed places, but she knew i wouldn't refuse.

eventually, (y/n) wound up at the entrance of the amusement park just a few minutes after we arrived. i stopped her as looked around her surroundings. this was probably the first time she's been at this amusement park. i stared at (y/n)'s back as she tried to find one of us among the crowd. i gulped, slowly walking toward her.

"j-just walk up to her, amajiki," i told myself out loud, "y-you got this! j-just say what you mean! i-it's not that hard!"

i kept replaying what i was going to say to her over and over again while i waited for (y/n) so i wouldn't mess up in front of her and embarrass myself. though when she turned around and noticed me, she sauntered toward me with a kind smile.

"n-no! i-i don't got this! o-oh, God!"

i had forgotten everything i was going to say to her the moment i laid eyes on (y/n). her cute outfit and the style of her hair somehow made my heart skip a beat. just a simple thing like seeing her after a long time made me uneasy. somehow, (y/n) seemed different when she wasn't in her work clothes. i was seeing her in her usual clothing, and right there and then i knew this wasn't going to be formal. this was a real hang out, and i was about to know the real (y/n); not just the patient journalist who interviewed me that day. and she was about to meet the real me. i suddenly felt sick to my stomach upon this realization, and i could feel my knees getting numb and my lips quivering from nervousness. when i saw her, my mind went blank and i kept muttering random words i didn't even know the meaning of. i even thought of chickening out, but it was too late.

"hey, tamaki!" she greeted, "how are you?"

(y/n)'s gentle smile was like an arrow piercing through my heart, making me unable to look her in the eye.

"i-i'm alright," i lied, "p-please, let's just get out of here, (y/n). t-there's too many people around. m-mirio and nejire are already waiting for us on one of the rides."