Flowers In The Rain

Flowers In The Rain

                The lake was packed, and even that wasn't a strong enough word to describe it. There was barely any room for people to walk and yet more of the town was arriving. 

                "Saffie, over here!" 

                My eyes scanned the crowd by the trees and spotted my small group of friends. I smiled and made my way over to them - with difficulty, of course. 

                "Hey, Lola," I greeted, smiling at my red haired friend. "Have you guys been here long?" I asked Ethan and Nate when I realised Lola wasn't listening to me anymore. Her attention was now on the group of tourists, one of which had his shirt off and a smirk on his face. 

                "About an hour," Nate told me, settling against the tree and smiling at me. "Please tell me we aren't going to lose you to the tourists."

                With a laugh I shook my head and sat down next to him. "Don't worry, Natey. I won't be swooned by their charms."

                Ethan chuckled and nudged my side. "Are you sure? There's a few that seem to have their eyes on you."

                Ignoring his comment I leaned against Nate's side and put my legs on Ethan's lap. "Now this is comfortable," I commented, grinning. "I could spend my whole day like this."

                "Please don't," Ethan grumbled, flicking my legs but he didn't make a move to shove my legs off him. "I think Lola has her eyes on a guy."

                Following my friend's gaze I saw Lola near the edge of the lake, her feet in the water and her eyes on a guy floating on his back. I chuckled and shook my head. Our Lola was one of a kind. 

                "Yeah, I think she might do," I agreed, leaning back and closing my eyes. 

                We must have been sitting there for an hour before Lola came rushing over, a wide smile on her face. "You won't believe it," she said, clapping her hands together. "He's totally gorgeous, very smart and the best part? He's Italian!"

                Laughing at her love struck expression I patted her arm. "Your dream guy," I pointed out. "Is he here for the summer or permanent?"

                "He's going to the university an hour from here and was told to check out the lake, that's why he's here," she said, beaming. "He gave me his number and said to meet him later on tonight for dinner!"

                "I'm happy for you, Lola," I told her, smiling. "Go, have fun with your future hubby."

                Nate and Ethan chuckled from either side of me. "I just hope she doesn't get hurt," Nate commented, watching Lola skip back to the lake, just avoiding stepping on a small group of children, who were skimming rocks with their parents. 

                "She knows how to keep her head on when her mind is in the clouds."

                After grunting in response we went back to watching Lola flirting with her new love interest. I smiled and rested my head against Nate's shoulder. I knew it would work out for Lola, she was lucky like that. 

*

                "Have you seen the pretty flowers in the water?" Lola asked as we waited for our drinks. "I don't think they're real."