Chapter 31- A bad start for a tea party

Days after the encounter with my mini nemesis, the day of the tea party arrived.

Already early in the morning, we started to prepare for it. I and Jenni had a rose bath, skincare and a small breakfast of fruits. A light meal, since we would eat too much later during the day.

After, came the dressing and the styling. I had hoped, that after many days of choosing and experimenting with several dresses it would be easier on the day of the party. I was wrong. Very wrong.

My helpful maid had come up with more styles and ideas, which she believed would fit me better. I had told her, several times, it was ok to go with the one we had chosen the day before. Fortunately, she accepted.

Hahahaha.

As if Fanny would let me have a restful morning before a party! If they saw us, they would think I had been invited to a royal wedding or such!

I shivered just thinking of Jenni's future wedding... the work it would be!

Thankfully, I was too young for make-up, my nightmares were filled with Fanny's learning the craft. She would be my worst enemy! Rival only to my nemesis.

By lunchtime, me, Jenni and the Duke departed in our most fancy carriage.

Anyone that saw it would know it was the Mountnero family who passed by, and I did think that was the intention. To have all eyes on us and in our "glory", as the strongest house of the Empire, behind the royal family.

Everyone we passed, on our way to the Marquis house, was in awe by it. I would have been too if I hadn't had to sit in those damned seats. It was the most uncomfortable carriage we had and the thought of sitting on it for a long period was a terror almost comparable with Fanny's long styling. Almost.

Inside the atmosphere was light. The Duke and Jenni were happy, believing my first social event would be a great success.

I, however, knew it wouldn't be, but kept quiet not to spoil their happy mood. More Jenni's in this case. The Duke could be his sour self and I wouldn't care, as long his hatred was not directed at me.

The Marquis lived outside the capital, not far but not close enough for me to have an enjoyable trip on those rigid seats.

To avoid thinking of my poor bum, my mind wandered somewhere else, bored. My second life, except the obvious death traps, with some troublemakers and royalty, was becoming way too boring. Enough to make me even miss my last job. And that needed some great kind of boredom to be accomplished.

Less than a year into this life and I knew already that being a member of the nobility was not for me. We did nothing, at least the girls.

I had yet to start my etiquette lessons, though I already dread them because I knew I would hate them. My days were passed in boredom unless I got in trouble, which didn't mean good things to me.

This boredom made me think, too much. Way too much. And some thoughts started to wander close to my conscience. Thoughts I didn't want and which I prevented by keeping myself busy. But how would I keep myself busy?

And how could I escape this trapping life?

It was clear that I would get resistance from Gobbie and others. But even if I succeed in that, I could only be living outside the family when I became an adult. And I was now fucking seven. There were at least 9 years left for me to endure. So how do I keep those thoughts out?

It was a question I needed to find an answer to quickly.... but maybe not today.

An hour of boredom and we arrived at an enormous palace, surrounded by a big forest and lush gardens. It looked way more pompous than our golden carriage, filled with golden and silver statues and all these strange ornaments. Expensive, but ugly as hell.