009

Walking into the backroom of a bar wearing a formal dress was not as ideal as I had anticipated. As Aaleyah and I pushed through the door all eyes were on us. On me, specifically. I was hyper aware of the gazes of random men. It only made my fists clench as I walked straight for the staircase door. My eyes stay staring straight forward as the black stiletto heels on my feet click against the metal flooring loudly.

"That was uncomfortable," Aaleyah says as I open the door. Unlike me, she is covered from head to toe, wearing her usual and more casual sweats. She moves towards the stairs leading to the computer room. "I'll be down in a minute."

I nod and descend to the basement, black fabric flowing behind me at my quick pace. This allows the double slits of my dress to expose almost the entirety of both my legs. That is, besides my upper thighs- where two thin knives are holstered under the fabric. It was the best I could do since the dress was so revealing. I had to go with it though, as it allowed for the best free movement. I don't expect a fight tonight but I sure am prepared if there is one.

I open the red clutch in my hand quickly as I get to the floor, checking to make sure my fold knife was there, along with my pepper spray and lipstick.

I look up when footsteps come towards me and I see Ace. My breath hitches slightly at his appearance. Though we had not planned it, his all black three piece suit matches perfectly with my dress. It looks expensive, probably tailored as well as it hugs his lean torso in a way that made my mind wander. Specifically, to how many guns he kept under that jacket. His shiny dress shoes and Rolex only further his ambience of expensive confidence. My eyes travel up to his chest. A tie was conveniently missing, exchanged for loosened buttons allowing for black ink of a tattoo to peek through on his pale skin. His hair isn't its usual rugged mess, instead, it's styled back. One stray seems to escape into the familiar routine as it falls over his forehead.

I don't want to think I am admiring him, more like examining. When I look at his face I realize he is doing the same. I become conscious of the silence we built just staring at one another. When I shift on my feet, he seems to realize it too. It does not shake him as his blue eyes move from my legs to my face.

His smirk reminds me of the night we had met behind the bar. When we didn't know each other and were free to flirt and laugh. "Where exactly are you hiding your little weapons in that dress?" His eyes gleam as he raises an eyebrow.

"Oh I was supposed to bring weapons? You're my date, I was just going to rely on you for protection," I say coyly, walking up to his desk. When I'm closer to him I can smell his cologne. I lean against the desk.

He smirks again, a smile line indents into his cheek. "You count on that, Vigilante." His eyes shamelessly give me another once over before he looks back up at me. "You look beautiful."

It's specific moments like now where I silently thank whatever creator there is up there for making me a brown woman incapable of actually turning red when I blush. If that were the case, my cheeks would've matched the deep red of my painted lips. "You clean up nice yourself, Salvatore."

His smile is his only response when the door opens. Genevieve and Aaleyah come down. "Well if it isn't Mr. and Mrs. Smith," Genevieve smirks, eyeing our matching outfits. Ace lets out a light laugh from next to me.

"Darius will follow you guys to the party as backup in case it is a trap," Aaleyah explains and we nod.

"But he can't go in so you're alone once you're inside," Genevieve adds, though it's obvious.

She hands me a small device. "What's this?" I ask.

"An earpiece. Your hair is down, you can hide it. You're the only one communicating with us tonight." I nod and put it in my right ear, letting the uniformed curls of my shoulder length black hair cover it.