That's what she said

The next day, word of how I managed to "upstage" Ashley Jones - hottest girl in school, gymnast extraordinaire, and (most importantly) James Adam Cooper's girlfriend - in PE class somehow made its way throughout the entire school. As I walked through the corridors carrying my books, I got a mixed reaction.

Some people backed away from me as if I were upstaging Ashley proved me to be even more dangerous than her, others came up to me and congratulated me on my outstanding achievement, giving me the occasional pat on the back, cell phone number or an encouraging "you showed that bitch!".

I walk into my Calculus classroom (early, as usual) and scan the front row for an empty desk - a place meant for only nerds and/or loners - so that I can concentrate fully on keeping a "low profile". I don't want to be rude, but I feel so awkward when random people just come up to talk to me (anti social much, eh?).

Sighing at my sudden burst of popularity, I dump my books on one of the front desks and proceed to intently examine the blatant graffiti scrawled into the old wood of the desk - ranging from "J & C 4eva" encircled in a red biro heart to "Ms Winters can suk it," complete with a crudely drawn "8==D".

"Kales!" I hear someone call from the back of the room.

I look up and swivel around in my seat to see a pretty Asian girl waving at me, draped in chunky silver jewellery, a brightly patterned shirt, tight leggings and heavy eyeliner - a look that only a K-pop star and Alexandria Lee, head cheerleader, could pull off.

"Oh, hi Lex." I give her a slight smile, wondering for a second if she's got the wrong person.

"Sit next to me." she says, pointing a perfectly manicured nail at the empty desk next to her.

"Uh, okay." I say, grabbing my stuff and dumping myself in the chair next to Lex.

"So, what's up?" I ask her hesitantly, looking up at her and biting my lip.

"The ceiling." she says, looking at me as if I were mental. "What else?"

"Uh ..."

"Jokes!" She rolls her eyes. "You are so gullible, Kales - it's adorable!"

"Thanks? I guess." I clear my throat.

"So anyways, onto more important matters - what are you doing afterschool?"

"Afterschool?" I say, taken aback. I think - no work tonight (it's a Wednesday). "Nothing ... just laundry." I shudder internally at the chores that that thing is making me complete for him.

"Sweetness. So basically you're free, yeah?"

Before I could interject, Lex carried on talking at full speed ahead.

"So there's cheerleading practice tonight, so I thought that, well, you totally have to be there. I want to introduce you to the rest of the squad and show you the ropes and stuff. It'll be real chill. So will you go? Pretty please?" She gives me puppy dog eyes.

"Uh -" I begin.

"Be there or die, Kales!" she narrows one of her eyes, making a gun shape with her hand and pointing the manicured nail barrel of the "gun" at my face. "Or it's asta la vista, biatch." She makes a shooting noise and blows the "smoke" off her makeshift gun.

I snort. "Do you even know what that phrase means, Lex?"

She shrugs. "I like to think it has something to do with tacos."

oOo

"I don't have any sporty type clothes to change into." I say to Lex who is stretching her biceps or triceps or tripods - whatever - as I stand awkwardly at the door to the gym, watching as girls in skimpy cheerleading outfits pranced around before me.